A Perth woman suffering from terminal cancer caused by her exposure to asbestos on a home building site has been awarded more than $1 million in damages.
Christine Parkin, 63, was exposed in the 1970s and 80s while helping her father build an extension to their home using cement sheets made by James Hardie Industries.
Previously fit and healthy, she was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year after experiencing pain in her chest and fatigue.
Doctors estimate Ms Parkin, who is cared for her by sister and requires constant supervision, has just four months to live.
Her lawyers sought damages from Jamies Hardie - now known as Amaca - in the West Australian Supreme Court.
Justice Rene Le Miere on Thursday awarded Ms Parkin just over $1 million in damages, noting the significant deterioration in her quality of life arising from her illness.
"Ms Parkin has lost her life as it was," Justice Le Miere said.
"She was fit and healthy, worked, socialised and travelled. Now she is in constant pain and fatigued.
"She spends most of her time resting at home and rarely leaves the house. All she can do is sit and watch TV and look at the view.
"Even watching TV is difficult because she cannot concentrate and becomes distracted thinking and worrying about her future."
Prior to becoming sick, Ms Parkin had worked at a zoo, exercised daily and led a full live in every respect, the court was told.
Justice Le Miere awarded her compensation for past and future medical and treatment expenses, economic loss and general damages.
Amaca accepted liability for the damage suffered by Ms Parkin as a result of her illness.
Australian Associated Press