Curtis Scott's lawyer says the Canberra Raiders centre could sue the NSW Police Force after "hard to stomach" footage emerged of him handcuffed, pepper-sprayed and tasered during a "wrongful" arrest.
Body cam footage taken in the early hours of January 27 at Sydney's Moore Park was played in a Sydney Local Court on Thursday, before the 22-year-old was cleared of all remaining charges against him.
Magistrate Jennifer Giles said she did not have the "stomach" to watch the NRL footballer being tasered a third time after two separate videos were played of the event.
Scott was originally charged with seven offences including two for assaulting a police officer, but all were dropped bar two on Wednesday. He had pleaded guilty to two counts of behaving in an offensive manner near a public place, but these charges were dismissed by Giles.
"Being capsicum-sprayed while handcuffed and not decontaminated for 19 minutes is much worse than any punishment I can inflict on you," Giles said.
Video footage shows police asking Scott more than 20 times to get up to which he originally responds that he is "obviously" getting dressed, then repeatedly that he has "done nothing wrong".
Trying but failing to drag him onto his feet, police administer pepper spray into his face which causes him to moan and yell he is "dying". He swats police away with his hands in cuffs.
After tasering Scott one police officer can be heard saying, "If you lash out again I'll f---ing taser you again".
Scott was excused from the room when the footage was played, with Macedone saying the Raider has never seen the videos.
"It was hard to take. I've seen it 20, 30 times, frame by frame. It doesn't get any better, it just doesn't get any better," Macedone told The Canberra Times.
WARNING: Some of this vision is confronting.— Nine News Sydney (@9NewsSyd) September 10, 2020
More shocking bodycam vision has been released of NRL player Curtis Scott being tasered and pepper sprayed in handcuffs.
A magistrate told the court he didn't "have the stomach to see it again”.
Full story, 6.00pm on #9Newspic.twitter.com/TP5iXLyG7m
"As her honour said, there was a third video I wanted to show which was the video cam at the end of the taser gun, but she said 'I've seen your client tasered twice now, and to be quite honest, I don't think I could stomach a third one. If you don't mind, I don't want to see it'.
"That gives you the impression of the reaction people had when viewing the videos. [Scott] has been very quiet, very introverted, within himself and non-committal.
"This has affected him greatly and he is very much relieved to know it's over. He doesn't have to go to court anymore, he has been vindicated.
"He walks out of there with his head held high and the NSW Police Force will be a little concerned I'd imagine. He may very well sue them for wrongful arrest, unlawful handcuffing and otherwise assaulting him.
"I've given him some advice and it's a matter he has got to decide on in due course. It seems quite obvious they are concerned about that."
Police prosecutor Rebecca Becroft questioned how long police officers were meant to wait for Scott to sober up, and that it would have been dangerous to him and society to leave him in such a state, after he had been drinking at The Ivy in the hours prior.
CCTV video footage shows Scott repeatedly kicking a bike outside the Olympic Hotel in Paddington. He then punches a taxi cab and throws his phone at a passing car from the middle of the road.
"God that could have killed me," the driver of the car said in a statement.
Macedone said Scott lost a Nike sponsorship as a result of the charges, while the "NRL came down so hard on him" he feared he would lose his career.
Macedone argued that police prosecutors should pay legal costs of more than $100,000, but Becroft said it was "absurd" that a two-day trial could have "incurred such an extravagant amount of money". Giles will hand down a decision about costs on September 25.
"You don't look at police statements because they're full of inconsistencies and untruths. What you've got is a video showing you exactly what happened," Macedone said.
"You don't have to worry what someone else tells you what happened. You can see. Any decent prosecutor or investigative team would have sat down, watched those videos and thought 'hell, do we want to run this?'
"They only wanted to show a little bit because they didn't want the foot stomping, the bloody punches, hammer slaps to his thigh and all of that to come out, but it did. Everyone got a taste of what they did, it wasn't right."