An Australian rules football coach suspected of sexually abusing Canberra children for decades has now been charged with exploiting a third alleged victim.
Stephen James Porter appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday morning, when he was formally accused of "grooming and depraving" the child.
The charge alleges that the 50-year-old Macgregor man committed the offence with the intention of taking part in or watching a sexual act.
The latest count brings to 17 the total number of charges that Mr Porter plans to fight when his case goes to trial.
Charges have been progressively piling up against the alleged sex offender since he was arrested at his home in late June.
The initial allegations were that Mr Porter had abused his position as a juniors coach at the Ainslie Football Club to gain access to one boy under the guise of private coaching in late 2014.
He allegedly went on to sexually exploit that child over a prolonged period beginning in early 2016.
"It is estimated that the defendant engaged in sexual intercourse with [this boy] approximately 45 times over the period of three-four years," police have alleged in court documents.
Investigating officers have also said: "It is the belief of police that the defendant may have been committing serious sexual offences against young people for about 20 years."
Police have continued to investigate those suspicions, and Mr Porter was charged last month with a second suite of crimes.
Some of those charges allege he used a different boy for the production of child exploitation material between 2009 and 2011.
When the most recent charge was discussed in court for the first time on Monday, prosecutor Ryan Roberts confirmed that it related to a third alleged victim.
The dates of the alleged grooming were not given, and the court did not receive any new material.
Mr Roberts said his office had now served Mr Porter's lawyers with "the majority" of the brief of evidence relating to two of the children.
He requested time to collate details of the allegations linked to the third child.
Notwithstanding that some material was still outstanding, defence lawyer Sinead Allen entered pleas of not guilty on Mr Porter's behalf to the new charge and all the others the 50-year-old had not already denied.
Magistrate James Lawton adjourned the case until January 11 next year and continued Mr Porter's bail until then.