Australia's defence chief has delayed the disbanding of a special forces squadron embroiled in war crime allegations.
Angus Campbell promised to remove Two Squadron from the order of battle following the release of a damning report into atrocities committed in Afghanistan.
But General Campbell has since delayed his decision.
Defence Minister Linda Reynolds said disbanding the Special Air Services Regiment unit had been delayed, but not cancelled.
"The CDF has asked for all actions that are in response to the Brereton report to actually be done under his implementation plan," Senator Reynolds told reporters in Canberra on Monday.
"My understanding is it has been delayed to be part of the implementation plan."
Senator Reynolds said the delay was entirely appropriate given the gravity of the issues at hand.
General Campbell has previously been criticised for promising to revoke unit citations from all special forces troops who served in Afghanistan, before walking back his decision after coming under political pressure.
Putting the brakes on disbanding the unit was unexpected, particularly given Chief of Army Rick Burr travelled to Perth late last month to discuss the decision with troops.
Serving members of the squadron are expected to be redeployed to other sections of the SAS.
But more than 60 elite soldiers are reportedly threatening to quit in protest at the decision.
Labor deputy leader and defence spokesman Richard Marles supports disbanding the squadron and revoking the unit citations.
"It's really important that at the end of the day, we see the recommendations of the Brereton report implemented," he told reporters at Parliament House.
"That's what we want, what the government wants, what ultimately Defence wants."
Senator Reynolds said she fully supported General Campbell in his response to the report.
"This is the most serious issue that any chief of defence, any minister for defence, also any prime minister has ever had to deal with in the history of our nation," she said.
"There is no quick fix to this, there are no easy solutions, and there is no simple thing that will deal with the reasons for these many multiples of allegations of war crimes and of incredibly bad behaviour."
Australian troops are accused of committing 39 unlawful killings in Afghanistan and treating two prisoners with cruelty.
A bipartisan motion presented to the Senate on Monday described the allegations as deeply disturbing and expressed sympathy to the people of Afghanistan.
The motion argued the response to the allegations must respect justice and the rule of law, and not cast a shadow over the vast majority of Australian Defence Force members who served in Afghanistan with distinction.
Australian Associated Press