Health authorities have issued a warning to Canberrans after death cap mushrooms were spotted sprouting earlier than usual in the territory.
The ACT's acting deputy chief health officer, Miranda Harris, on Thursday said the territory normally wouldn't see the lethal mushrooms until March or April.
But they'd popped up already this year - most likely due to wet weather and milder summer temperatures.
In 2012 the mushrooms killed two Canberra residents who ate them at a dinner party on New Year's Eve and in 2014 they seriously poisoned four others.
"As the name suggests, death cap mushrooms can be deadly," Dr Harris said.
"All parts of the mushroom are poisonous whether they have been cooked or not."
In other news:
A spokesman for ACT Health reiterated there had been sightings in the territory already this year, but did not confirm where. He said the mushrooms could sprout anywhere.
Dr Harris warned the community not to risk touching wild mushrooms with their bare hands, and to keep animals and children away from them.
"If you think you may have eaten a death cap mushroom, urgently seek medical attention at a hospital emergency department and take any remaining mushroom to the hospital for identification," she said.
"Eating wild mushrooms is just not worth the risk.
"Don't eat mushrooms you have found in the wild, and only purchase mushrooms from a reputable supplier."
Dr Harris said symptoms of death cap mushroom poisoning generally started appearing between six and 24 hours or more after eating them.
The symptoms included stomach pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
"The chances of survival increase where treatment is started early," Dr Harris said.
She said anyone who spotted a wild mushroom in a public area could report it to Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
More information on death cap mushrooms can be found on ACT Health's website.
For faster access to the latest Canberra news, download The Canberra Times app for iOS and Android.