Police have interviewed a fourth alleged victim in the case of a juniors football coach who is suspected of sexually abusing Canberra children for about 20 years.
The ACT Magistrates Court heard on Monday that prosecutors were now waiting to see whether further charges would be laid against Stephen James Porter ahead of a likely committal for trial.
Mr Porter, 50, has already pleaded not guilty to 17 charges relating to three alleged victims and dating back more than a decade.
He was first arrested at his Macgregor home in June 2020 over allegations made by a boy he allegedly abused for a number of years.
Police claim Mr Porter began offending against the boy in 2016 after using his position at the Ainslie Football Club to gain access to the child under the guise of private Australian rules coaching.
"It is estimated that the defendant engaged in sexual intercourse with [this boy] approximately 45 times over the period of three-four years," police have alleged in court documents.
The charges laid in relation to that alleged victim include multiple counts of sexual intercourse with a child.
While still investigating suspicions that Mr Porter had been offending for decades, officers charged him in October with using a different boy for the production of child exploitation material between 2009 and 2011.
A further allegation followed in November, when the 50-year-old was charged with grooming and depraving a third alleged victim with the intention of taking part in or watching a sexual act.
Then, on Monday, prosecutor Ryan Roberts told the court: "A potential fourth victim has been identified."
Mr Roberts said that person now lived interstate and there had been some difficulties for police in relation to conducting an interview, but he understood that had occurred last week.
"My office is now just waiting on whether there will be further charges," he said.
Mr Roberts told the court that regardless of any further charges, he expected Mr Porter could be committed to the ACT Supreme Court for trial on the next occasion.
Magistrate James Lawton adjourned the case until February 22 and continued Mr Porter's bail until then.