Anxious Canberra veterans have called on ACT Health to tell them if they will be able to attend the dawn service or march on Anzac Day this year as a COVID-19 cloud hovers over the national commemoration.
The Australian War Memorial has submitted a proposal to health officials in the hope a crowd will be able to attend the iconic dawn service on April 25, but a decision on logistics is yet to be finalised.
Veterans are hopeful they will be able to attend after the coronavirus lockdown forced the memorial to downscale its events last year.
The Dawn Service regularly attracts more than 20,000 people to the memorial lawns, but attendees will likely need a ticket if it goes ahead this year.
Anzac Day marches in Hobart and Melbourne have already been cancelled due to coronavirus restrictions while other states are pushing ahead.
Sydney's Anzac Day march was given approval earlier this month, limited to 500 people and services will go ahead as normal in Queensland.
ACT Health has increased attendance numbers to full capacity at Canberra Stadium for ticketed sporting events in the latest relaxation of restrictions.
Most large events must be ticketed and the CBR Check-In app must be used with the majority of indoor performance venues returning to 75 per cent capacity.
RSL ACT branch president John King said veterans feared they would be locked out for the second year in a row, adding it was particularly important for veterans and families to commemorate the day after a turbulent 12 months.
"It's been a very difficult time and a lot of my members are not getting any younger ... every year that goes by is another year they potentially can't march anymore," he said.
"It becomes very concerning for them, they get anxious about it of course.
"I am now fielding phone calls with people saying, 'What's happening, John? What can we do? Remember this is the last year I've got'."
"The longer we leave the decision, and that's a little bit out of our hands, the harder it becomes logistically."
Mr King said RSL sub-branches across the city would run smaller events within COVID-19 restrictions and suggested those who couldn't attend once again take to their driveways to commemorate the day.
"I've got one veteran who is 100 years old, he served in World War II, and this could be his last opportunity to take part in something that he sort of has in his blood," Mr King said.
"He knows there are none of his mates left and he feels it is very important to do something for the last time perhaps.
"We've got families who have lost people in recent operations and as far as back as World War I, people are still commemorating those losses."
An ACT Health spokeswoman said it was working with the War Memorial to ensure any event operated within COVID safe event protocol.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: