The Canberra Capitals are pleading for answers regarding the future of the AIS Arena, adamant they "need the arena" to capitalise on a growing fan base.
The WNBL powerhouse was blindsided by the decision to shut the doors of the AIS Arena last year with all bookings for 2021 and beyond now on the chopping block.
Thursday marks one year since the Capitals lifted the trophy in Canberra, and not one event has taken place inside the once-famed "Palace" since.
Carrie Graf oversees the Capitals program in her role as the University of Canberra's director of sport and says the club is stuck in a holding pattern as officials begin planning for next season.
The Capitals play the bulk of their regular season games at the National Convention Centre, which has a capacity of about 1700, but Graf says the club needs a bigger venue for finals and regular season blockbusters.
"From a Capitals perspective, we haven't been informed officially of the status of the arena this year," Graf said.
"Last year we received an email saying it was closed until further notice for last year. We haven't received anything formal [this year]. There is certainly a holding pattern for the Capitals program regarding what venue we'll be playing in for the coming season.
"The NCC is where we play the bulk of the games but we need the arena for big games, finals and overflow games. It's an interesting one in that space.
"Sport facilities are a complex issue for the territory at the moment, indoors ones that is, certainly. There is a lack of indoor sports facilities for a whole variety of sports, obviously with the AIS Arena in, who knows, semi-permanent shutdown, I'm not sure what the term is."
WNBL club general managers had a meeting on Tuesday as officials lay the foundations for the competition format ahead of the 2021-22 season.
This past season was played entirely in a north Queensland hub, with all eight teams playing out a condensed campaign.
It meant Capitals officials avoided the problems which may have been caused by the AIS Arena's closure.
But now answers are being sought as pieces are beginning to fall into place for next season with league officials aiming for an October tip-off in a return to normality.
"There will be a commission meeting with the ownership and chair group of each of the clubs in mid-March," Graf said.
"There will be more fallout of that but early suggestions are it's a really keen look at a home and away season, obviously planning for potential border closures with COVID.
"Early suggestions would be to sit back that window it traditionally has from October to March. It's early thinking, a lot of factors might impact that, broadcast deals, how pre-planning might impact national competitions."