ACT health authorities have issued a warning for Canberrans not to eat wild mushrooms, after a significant increase in the number of Death Cap mushrooms.
Chief health officer Kerryn Coleman said the onset of autumn had led to large amounts of wild mushrooms growing across the ACT, which posed a large risk to people.
"All parts of the Death Cap mushroom are poisonous, whether they have been cooked or not," Dr Coleman said.
"Death Cap mushroom growth has increased markedly this week, which is somewhat expected with autumn being the peak growing period."
While the mushroom species is known to grow near oak trees, they can be found in places where there are no oak trees.
The deadly species is often mistaken for edible wild mushrooms.
Dr Coleman said Canberrans should not touch the mushrooms with bare hands and urged for children and animals to be kept away from them.
"If you think you may have eaten a Death Cap mushroom, seek urgent medical attention at a hospital emergency department even if there are no symptoms. If possible, take any remaining mushrooms to the hospital for identification," she said.
"Symptoms of poisoning generally occur six to 24 hours or more after eating mushrooms, and include pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
"The chances of survival increase when treatment is started early."
A warning was issued in January after the deadly species was sighted sprouting earlier than usual in the ACT.
In 2012 the mushrooms killed two Canberra residents who ate them at a dinner party on New Year's Eve and in 2014 they seriously poisoned four others.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: