Rex Airlines has delayed take off for its Canberra to Melbourne route for a second time due to the "ongoing uncertainty" of travel restrictions following the Victorian outbreak.
The service, initially set to begin on June 10, had been pushed back to June 18 as Victoria went into a two-week lockdown.
Although Melbourne's lockdown lifted on Friday, Rex Airlines said the decision to further delay the new route was made due to uncertainty around travel restrictions.
"The extended Victorian lockdown and ongoing uncertainty around Government border closures and travel restrictions make it prudent to push back the date of the inaugural flight by a week," Rex said in a statement.
The June 24 launch will now coincide with the beginning of school holidays in the ACT, NSW and Victoria.
"Passengers who booked directly with Rex will be informed via email of an automatic refund of the ticket. Passengers booked through a travel agent will need to request the latter to request a refund which will be credited with the travel agent," Rex said.
The $69 flights from the nation's capital sparked competitors Qantas and Virgin to lower their prices on the Melbourne route.
ACT Health lifted stay-at-home requirements for Victorian visitors on Friday, although anyone entering from Victoria will still need to fill out a travel declaration 24 hours before they arrive.
Those requirements will be in place until June 17.
Victorians looking to go to the ACT will still need to follow public health directions from the state government, in line with restrictions following the end of lockdown.
Metropolitan Melbourne remains under some restrictions including mandatory masks indoors and outdoors and people must stay within 25km of their homes unless working or studying, caregiving or getting a COVID-19 vaccine.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: