A 22-year-old man has been arrested after he was allegedly caught with a weapon at the ministerial entrance to Parliament House.
ACT Policing was called to the scene about 7pm on Monday after the man was "detained by AFP Protective Service officers".
"The man was subsequently arrested by police and transported to the ACT Regional Watch House," an ACT Policing spokesman said.
The 22-year-old has since been charged with possessing an offensive weapon with intent and making a reckless threat to kill.
He appeared briefly on Tuesday morning in the ACT Magistrates Court, which heard mental health workers had recommended the man be assessed by doctors at Canberra Hospital.
The man's lawyer, Mostafa Daoudie, told Special Magistrate Jane Campbell he was content for that to occur.
But the 22-year-old, appearing from a remote room within the court precinct, seemed less impressed.
"May I speak? May I ask why this is necessary?" he said.
"Treatment aside, this is a bail hearing, right?"
Ms Campbell ultimately ordered that the man undergo a mental health assessment, telling him she would not consider the question of bail until that had been done.
It is unclear when the man will return to court.
The Canberra Times has chosen not to name the 22-year-old until more information about his mental health is provided to the court.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Department of Parliamentary Services said there was "no apparent ongoing threat" following the events of the previous night.
However, it said it had "immediately" engaged private security contractors to patrol two car parks, including one next to the ministerial wing of Parliament House, on sitting nights.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: