The self-described Alexander Maconochie Centre "ping pong champion" has been told to hand himself in after he was mistakenly released from Canberra's jail last week.
Cody Damien Herceg appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court over the phone on Monday for a brief mention of four charges, including obtaining property by deception and possessing stolen property.
Prosecutor David Leggett told the court he had only realised the man was no longer behind bars a few minutes earlier, following "a chance discussion" with defence lawyer Bowan Shelton.
He said the circumstances that had led to Herceg being set free were "unknown".
Mr Shelton said he believed jail authorities had let Herceg leave upon the expiry of a sentence for unrelated matters.
Court records indicated, however, that the 26-year-old had previously been refused bail on the ongoing charges.
Magistrate James Lawton described it as "an interesting situation".
"Mr Herceg, you need to understand that you need to hand yourself in to the court as soon as possible," he said.
Mr Lawton indicated he did not plan to immediately issue a warrant for Herceg's arrest.
"He should be in custody," the magistrate said.
"He's been told to hand himself in.
"If he doesn't hand himself in, I'll issue a warrant."
Herceg, who lists his occupation on Facebook as "ping pong champion at AMC", said he would "try" to attend court as soon as possible.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: