NSW has again recorded over 400 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths, with health officials worried about vulnerable Indigenous communities in the state's west where 21 new cases were identified.
There were 415 new local cases, as the lockdown in the state continues.
All those who died were from Sydney's southwest: three women in their 50s, 70s and 80s, and a man also in his 80s.
Of them, only one was fully vaccinated but had underlying health conditions.
The death toll for NSW stands at 48 for this outbreak, and 104 for the entire pandemic. There are now 62 people in intensive care, 24 of them requiring ventilation.
Of the new cases at least 66 people were circulating in the community for all or part of their infectious period, with 273 more cases under investigation.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said while "much more work" is to be done, the case tally is a "welcome drop" from Saturday's tally of 466 new cases.
"Yesterday was an absolute wake-up call," she told reporters.
"We can't stress enough that we don't want to go down the path of all these other places overseas where they have literally thousands and thousands and thousands of cases a day.
"If too many people do the wrong thing ... NSW and Australia will follow what has happened (there) ..."
Over half of the new cases on Saturday were from Sydney's west and southwest, which include areas causing most concern - Blacktown, Mount Druitt, Marayong, Merrylands, Auburn and Guildford.
In the regions, the state's west recorded 21 new cases.
"In terms of the risk areas, I am very concerned about western NSW," chief health officer Kerry Chant said.
"We have cases in Dubbo, cases in Walgett and we have exposures and sewage detections in a number of other areas such as Bourke."
Forty two cases were also recorded in the central Sydney health area, 36 in the Blue Mountains, and 31 in South Eastern Sydney.
The virus was also detected in the Lennox Head sewage plant in the north of the state.
Another NSW school has been closed after a positive case, with Blacktown North Public School to be shut to staff and visitors on Monday.
Dr Chant also confirmed that a 15-year old COVID-positive boy had been among those admitted to hospital although he was also being treated for pneumococcal meningitis.
Ms Berejiklian meanwhile said five million doses had been given out in NSW with half of the state's eligible population having now received their first vaccination.
She welcomed the half-a-million extra Pfizer vaccine doses to be supplied to NSW by the Commonwealth.
"Please know we will be putting that to very good use, we'll be targeting 16- to 39-year-olds in those local government areas of concern," she said.
All of NSW entered a seven-day lockdown early Saturday evening, with police handed stronger powers to enforce regulations.
Officers will be out from Monday in affected local government areas and able to impose fines of up to $5000 for breaching health orders.
On Saturday night, 529 infringement notices were issued for breaches and 29 people were charged.
Thirty one young people were among those fined after gathering at Clovelly, in Sydney's east on Saturday night.
Deputy police commissioner Mick Willing said 1400 Highway Patrol officers would be on patrol from Monday.
In newly-locked down regional areas, people must only leave their residence for an essential reason.
Everyone must carry masks at all times, no visitors are allowed in the home unless for carers' responsibilities or for compassionate reasons, and those in a relationship.
A test and isolate payment of $320 will also start next week for workers aged 17 and over who have symptoms of COVID-19 and live in government areas of concern.
NSW Labor leader Chris Minns wants that payment made available statewide.
" The test and isolate payment must be in every part of NSW," Mr Minns said on Sunday.
Australian Associated Press