The Canberra construction is set to restart work next week after ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr detailed his plans to reopen several industries despite an increase in Covid case numbers.
The construction industry has been lobbying for work to return, claiming it has been shutdown for a longer period than any other state or territory outbreak since the pandemic began.
The ACT recorded 21 new Covid cases on Friday, but Mr Barr has given businesses hope by allowing some to reopen under certain restrictions.
"Subject to the public health situation remaining stable, the ACT government is working towards part of the construction sector reopening in a Covid-safe way from next Friday, September 3," the government said.
"New industry guidelines, which outline strong guidance on Covid-safe practices, will be provided to the sector and to enable planning to take place."
Some Commonwealth government projects started work again this week, but staff were asked to show proof of their first vaccination, or a booking, before being allowed on site.
Those measures could be implemented for ACT construction sites, but the government is yet to give further details.
The government has also imposed restrictions on hardware stores. People will no longer to enter stores after 19,000 people checked in at Bunnings in one day.
Builders and home renovators will need to order online and pick up supplies via a click and collect system.
READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS:
Asked what support there would be for smaller construction companies or builders, Mr Barr said: "The economic supports that are in place are in place for those businesses and individuals who are not able to earn an income."
Construction leaders hosted a roundtable discussion with government officials earlier this week in a bid to gain clarity for workers and projects.
Bigger sites are set to get the green light given they will be able to monitor staff and have Covid officers on site.
The plan is less clear for smaller operators and their restart may be delayed beyond September 3.
The CFMEU has been pushing for a reopening for all workers.
"It is time for the ACT government to give the green light so we can start getting everyone in the Canberra construction industry back to work," said Zachary Smith, CFMEU ACT Assistant Branch Secretary.
"We are now two weeks into a one-week shutdown of construction and there is still no plan from the ACT Government to reopen the industry.
"The ACT has adopted some of the hardest economic lockdown measures of any state or territory, but it is now time to reopen construction, get people back to work and enable the industry to take up its role as a strong driver of the ACT economy once again.
"Construction can open safely and should do so within the next week. It is our members that are bearing the economic pain of the strictest lockdown laws in the country. This pain on working people is only compounded by any further delay from the ACT government."
READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS:
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: