Residential construction sites in Canberra could be allowed to reopen by the end of next week, Chief Minister Andrew Barr announced.
Work is under way with industry stakeholders to develop a Covid-safe plan for the industry, which would see construction resume from September 10.
This would mean residential construction sites would be closed for almost a month, as building has been banned since the ACT lockdown started on August 12.
The territory's lockdown has been extended on September 17.
It comes as large-scale sites will be allowed to reopen from this Friday. Industry stakeholders said it was unfair that residential construction was excluded from this reopening.
READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS:
Mr Barr said a reopening of the industry was dependent on the ACT's Covid situation, saying any worsening may contribute to a further delay.
"In relation to the construction sector, the partial reopening of the sector was outlined last week and this will commence under stringent COVIDSafe requirements this Friday. These requirements are going to be actively enforced by WorkSafe ACT and ACT Policing," Mr Barr said.
"The government will continue detailed work this week with industry stake-holders on the necessary strict COVID-safe requirements that would allow other parts of the construction sector - such as the residential construction sector - to recommence from 10 September, subject to the public health situation not deteriorating between now and then."
Housing Industry Association ACT executive director Greg Weller welcomed the news, but warned any further delays to the reopening date would be damaging.
"This lockdown has been really tough on the residential building industry, and it is important that we get back to work as soon as possible," Mr Weller said.
"Unlike many in the community who are able to work from home, when building trades are not working, they are not getting paid. Equally when building trades are not out there onsite, the economic benefits of new home and building renovations for the ACT economy are lost."
Master Builders ACT chief executive Michael Hopkins said he would continue to call for further government support from the sector.
"The MBA has always advocated for the safe re-opening of the entire construction industry. We know our members can do this safely and will comply with the strict safety protocols that have been developed by Government and industry," he said.
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: