The ACT reported 15 new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, including at least eight people who were in the community for part of their infectious period.
Thirteen of the cases are linked to known cases or clusters.
Five people were in quarantine for their entire infectious period. The infectious status of two remains under investigation.
Nine people are in hospital with COVID-19, including two in the intensive care unit; one is on a ventilator. Deputy chief health officer said she understood the 24-year-old man who had been on a ventilator no longer needed it.
Authorities are concerned about the number of people who have been infectious in the community with the virus.
Over the past week, more than half the reported cases spent time in the community while infectious.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the government would not move to make significant changes to public health measures until everyone had been offered the opportunity to be vaccinated.
"There are still people who have not yet had access to a vaccine, not yet had access to the level of protection that vaccination provides," Mr Barr said.
"It remains the government's very firm view that these people should be given that opportunity before we make significant changes to our public health directions.
"As our vaccination rates increase it's the government intention to make gradual steps forward to manage our current outbreak."
Mr Barr said this meant the ACT would need to maintain many public health measures for the weeks ahead. He said the government would provide more information on the path out of lockdown next Tuesday.
"I want to assure everyone that the path we will take will be informed by the health advice," he said.
"Our approach will support a gradual and safe reopening that supports people back into work."
The ACT is also tipped to reach the 50 per cent fully vaccinated in the over 16 population in the next 24 hours, Mr Barr said.
More than 50 per cent of 30 to 39 year olds have had their first vaccine dose and more than 40 per cent of 16 to 29 year olds have had one dose.
The total number of cases linked to Canberra's outbreak is now 439. A total of 212 cases have recovered, leaving 227 active cases.
There were 3432 tests conducted in the ACT on Wednesday.
There are now more than 1500 self identified contacts in quarantine in the ACT.
Dr Johnston said there had been little change to the age breakdown of COVID-19 cases in the ACT.
Most cases, 55 per cent, are in people aged 18 to 44. People aged 0 to 17 make up 28 per cent of cases.
The ACT government has also announced significant upgrades to its Check In CBR App.
As part of this, the application will roll out alerts for people who have visited exposure locations. Users would be notified by SMS or push notifications when their history matches up with exposure sites.
Information on whether it was a close, casual or monitor for symptoms exposure will also be given.
A card will also be provided to people who don't have a smartphone.
READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS:
Canberra's lockdown is set to go until September 17, but the high number of cases infectious in the community may mean the lockdown could be extended.
If lockdown is eased, there would still be strong public health measures, examples include density limits in retail stores, seated dining for small groups at cafes and restaurants and limits on households guests.
It comes as some ACT-NSW border communities will emerge from lockdown on Saturday. NSW will lift the lockdowns in the Yass Valley local government area, which includes Murrumbateman and Yass. The Snowy Valleys LGA will also had its lockdown lifted.
Queanbeyan-Palerang and Goulburn Mulwaree will remain in lockdown.
Mr Barr said people in Yass should not travel outside their local government area, per the NSW restrictions.
"I wouldn't be advising moving too far out of your government area," Mr Barr said.
NSW announced its roadmap to easing restrictions on Thursday. On the first Monday after the state reaches its 70 per cent double dose vaccination coverage target a range of freedoms will be given to fully vaccinated residents.
Mr Barr said NSW's roadmap would be a factor in easing restrictions in the territory but "not the predominant factor".
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: