With just weeks until Canberra's summer events would be scheduled to kick off, the tourism industry remains in the dark about what can go ahead once lockdown ends.
ACT Tourism Leaders Forum chair David Marshall said planning was well under way but rules for hosting events like carols by candlelight, New Year's Eve fireworks or the night markets were still unclear.
"The marketing strategies are all ready to go and in place," Mr Marshall said.
"So as soon as we know what the situation is with the borders and the restrictions that are placed on us, then away we go."
With New Year's Eve fireworks in Canberra cancelled the last two years, in 2019 because of bushfires and 2020 due to the pandemic, the ACT government has advised plans for December 31 will be first to be revealed.
Mr Marshall said despite several attempts from the tourism sector to seek clarification, details beyond what had been outlined on the ACT roadmap had not been forthcoming.
"The issue with events is they take time to plan and prepare," he said.
"So the more notice the government can provide, the better it's going to be."
READ MORE COVID NEWS:
While Summernats has been given the green light for January, the future of the Big Bash in December and what the Multicultural Festival in February might look like remained unclear.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the ACT roadmap would allow for the return of the big summer events, with caps on attendee numbers and one per four or one per two square meter rules depending on whether the event was indoors or outdoors.
"But it doesn't come into effect fully until the end of November, so there's a transition phase," Mr Barr said.
"As we've said dozens of times, we'll be stepping gently out of our lockdown from October 15."
Mr Marshall said with NSW set to open next week, too many questions remained over what it meant for the sector.
"When we reach 96 per cent vaccination rate there should be absolutely no lockdowns, no one should have to go into quarantine if they're a close contact," Mr Marshall said.
He said two thirds of visitors to the ACT came from Sydney and regional NSW and extended lockdowns meant there was pent up demand from across the border.
"People are inquiring about accommodation and bookings already, so we know it's going to be busy," Mr Marshall said.
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: