This article is in partnership with Neds.
The Caulfield Cup is one of the major horse racing events held in Melbourne each year as part of the racing spring carnival.
Taking place at Caulfield racecourse in October, the prize money of this lucrative 2400-metre handicap race is a whopping $5 million.
The Caulfield Cup is Australia's oldest horse race and due to be held this year on October 16.
After the other two most famous Melbourne horse races, the Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate, the Caulfield Cup 2021 is the most highly contested handicap race in Australia.
The race was first run in 1879 and the inaugural winner of the cup was Newminster. The most recent winner of the race in 2020 was Verry Elleegant.
In terms of successful Caulfield Cup trainers, Bart Cummings is the one who has enjoyed the most success. Over the years Cummings has trained seven winners of the cup, including Galilee, Big Philou, Leilani, Ming Dynasty (twice), Let's Elope, and Viewed.
Also rating a mention in the best trainer stakes are Tommy Smith with four wins, and Jack Holt, C T Godby, and H McCalman with three wins each.
Currently there have been seven horses that have won the Caulfield Cup twice: Paris (1892, 1894), Hymettus (1898, 1901), Poseidon (1906-07), Uncle Sam (1912, 1914), Whittier (1922, 1925), Rising Fast (1954-1955) and Ming Dynasty (1977, 1980).
Since 1998, the cup has been open to international competition.
The field is limited to 18 starters with four emergency entries decided by a ballot system from over 200 nominations.
Caulfield Cup - Fun facts
- Eleven horses have won both the Caulfield Cup and the Melbourne Cup in the same year with the most recent being Ethereal in 2001.
- Northerly was the last horse that won both the Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate in the same year, 2002.
- Bart Cummings still holds the record for the most winners training seven all up.
- Recent winners of the Caulfield Cup include Ethereal (2001), Northerly (2002), Mummify (2003), Elvstroem (2004), Viewed (2009), Dunaden (2012), Admire Rakti (2014), and Mongolian Kahn (2015).
- The most successful Caulfield Cup jockey is Scobie Breasley, who has won the title five times. Damien Oliver with four wins comes in second while Frank Demse, Neville Sellwood, and Mick Mallyon all have three wins apiece.
- The most successful female Caulfield Cup trainers include Lady Herries - Taufan's Melody (1998), Sheila Laxon - Ethereal (2001), and Gai Waterhouse - Descarado (2010).
Caulfield Cup betting odds
Caulfield Cup betting is open all year round. There are many online bookies you can use to place a bet on the cup. The current Caulfield Cup betting odds have the names Incentivise, Colette, and Duais at the top.
There are many Caulfield Cup betting odds comparison tools that you can check to secure the top odds among the leading bookies.
Caulfield Cup tips
You will be able to find Caulfield Cup tips on the internet during the week leading up to the race. The tried and tested ways of increasing your chances include reviewing the track conditions, lead-up races, barriers, and odds.
Most experts have picked the top names to win the Caulfield Cup 2021 with Incentivise leading the board.
Important details regarding the Caulfield Cup
- Race Type: Handicap
- Prize Money of Caulfield Cup 2021: A$5 Million
- Horse Age: 3 years and older
- Date: October 16, 2021
- Race Distance: 2400 meters
- Racecourse: Caulfield Racecourse
Gamble responsibly. Contact the Gambling Helpline for free and confidential support, information and counselling on 1800 858 858 or visit www.gamblinghelponline.org.au.