After nine weeks, the ACT's lockdown is over. Well, kind of.
The easing of restrictions - and ability to go to a pub or restaurant, or have a few friends around - will no doubt bring an element of relief and happiness to many, but it also signals the start of the community learning to live with the virus.
The risks of that were brought home again with the eight death of this outbreak announced. The ACT also reported another 35 cases to 8pm Thursday, and that vaccination rates had hit 76 per cent.
The lifting of the lockdown also prompted the NSW government to ease restrictions on Canberrans, making a late night announcement that Canberrans would be treated like other people in regional NSW.
But Chief Minister Andrew Barr is telling Canberrans that going to the pub in Queanbeyan is still not a valid reason to visit NSW.
The live blog appears below this article, and sometimes takes a moment to appear.
- Canberra reports 35 new cases and another death, as lockdown ends
- Border rule change: NSW lifts travel restrictions on people leaving ACT
- 'Don't cross the border': Barr's warning despite NSW changes
- Iconic' Canberra businesses could close in weeks ahead, industry warns
- ACT promises transparency despite not all past exposures being identified
- Public service begins masked office return in several depts
- Pfizer takes next step on child vaccinations
- What's the difference between ACT and NSW COVID-19 restrictions?
- End of lockdown is 'Christmas' for hospitality industry
- ACT pools to reopen but are kids ready for summer?
- Normality' is only a short time away: top diseases expert
- Canberra school shuts after person with COVID attends campus
- New exposure sites include café and construction worksite
- 'It's been scary': tribute paid to lives lost as ACT records 46 cases
- These are the new ACT-NSW border travel rules
- Vaping responsible for a number of Canberra's COVID-19 cases
- Mystery cases to become less important as Canberra reopens
- How crime rates changed through lockdown
- Canberra's waking up! Here's what's reopening
- New exposure sites include shoe shop and Kippax Fair
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: