MAJOR RECENT DOMESTIC TERRORISM INCIDENTS IN THE UK:
- May 22, 2013: Fusilier Lee Rigby died from multiple cut and stab wounds after being attacked in Woolwich, southeast London, by extremists Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale. Adebolajo was given a whole-life term and Adebowale was jailed for a minimum of 45 years.
- June 16, 2016: Labour MP Jo Cox was stabbed 15 times and shot three times outside her constituency surgery in Birstall, near Leeds, a week before the EU referendum. Neo-Nazi Thomas Mair, who shouted "Britain first" in the attack, was given a whole life sentence for the murder.
- March 22, 2017: Kent-born Khalid Masood, 52, was shot dead by police after he drove a rental car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before fatally stabbing Pc Keith Palmer, 48, in the Palace of Westminster's forecourt. US tourist Kurt Cochran, Romanian tourist Andreea Cristea and Britons Aysha Frade and Leslie Rhodes were killed.
- May 22, 2017: British-born Salman Abedi, 22, walked into the foyer of Manchester Arena as crowds streamed out of an Ariana Grande concert and detonated a device packed with shrapnel, killing 22 people, including children.
- June 3, 2017: A white van hit pedestrians on London Bridge before three men got out of the vehicle and began stabbing people in nearby Borough Market, leaving eight people dead and 48 injured. Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba were shot dead by police minutes later.
- June 19, 2017: A group of Muslim worshippers were hit by a van near Finsbury Park Mosque, north London, after many of them had attended evening prayers during Ramadan. One person died. Darren Osborne was jailed for at least 43 years after being found guilty of murder and attempted murder.
- September 15, 2017: Ahmed Hassan's homemade bomb partially exploded on a London Underground train at Parsons Green, injuring more than 50 people. He was sentenced to life with a minimum jail term of 34 years.
- November 29, 2019: Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, were stabbed to death by Usman Khan, 28, at a prisoner rehabilitation event. A man and two women were also injured before Khan, who was released from prison on licence in December 2018, was shot dead by armed officers on London Bridge.
- February 2, 2020: Sudesh Amman was shot dead by police after stabbing two people on a busy street in the south London area of Streatham while wearing a fake suicide vest.
- June 20, 2020: Khairi Saadallah, 27, fatally stabbed friends James Furlong, 36, David Wails, 49, and Joseph Ritchie-Bennett, 39, in a knife attack at a park in Reading town centre. He admitted the murders and was sentenced to a whole life order in prison.
- October 15, 2021: Tory MP Sir David Amess was fatally stabbed outside Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea near Southend while attending a constituency surgery. The Metropolitan Police declared it a terrorist incident and are investigating the attacker's "potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism".
Australian Associated Press