An alleged home invader is accused of trying to kill a man by shooting him in the face because he thought the victim was "a kiddie fiddler".
The victim, who is said to have sustained a total of three gunshot wounds, spent a week in an induced coma following the incident in Spence.
Details of the case against the alleged gunman, Sugimatatihuna Bernard Gabriel Mena, 23, can now be revealed after one of his co-accused made an unsuccessful bail application on Friday.
Mr Mena, of Bonner, is awaiting trial in the ACT Supreme Court after pleading not guilty to four charges that include attempted murder and aggravated burglary.
Co-accused Bradley Joe Roberts, 23, and Rebecca Dulcie Parlov face only the latter charge, which they also intend to fight.
A Crown case statement, tendered during Mr Roberts' failed bid for conditional freedom, outlines the allegations levelled at the trio.
The document describes an early morning meeting involving Mr Roberts, the shooting victim and a woman who cannot be named in a car park at the Bonner shops on March 11.
Prosecutors allege Mr Roberts recognised the victim and told him Mr Mena, known as "Sugi", was going to "whack him because they thought he was a kiddie fiddler".
Ms Parlov allegedly rang this woman in an attempt to locate the pair a short time later, only to be told: "He's a good bloke. He's not a kiddie fiddler."
MORE COURT AND CRIME NEWS:
During the call, prosecutors claim Ms Parlov pulled up outside the Spence home with Mr Mena and Mr Roberts.
"Just let me in the house," she allegedly said.
"Let me in the f---ing house. If you don't let me in the house, you know I'll come in anyway."
Ms Parlov is accused of then barging her way in with Mr Roberts, prompting the victim to pick up a kitchen knife to protect himself.
While Ms Parlov is said to have been yelling words to the effect of, "Are you going to come at a girl with a knife?", Mr Mena allegedly entered the house with his face covered from the nose down.
He allegedly pulled a sawn-off .22 rifle out of his waistband and, from about five metres away, shot the victim in the stomach and forearm.
Mr Mena is accused of then "fumbling with the gun" and calling the victim "a kiddie fiddler" while trying to reload the weapon.
He is said to have then shot the victim in the jaw before he and his co-accused "bolted".
Prosecutors say the victim staggered around the house, leaving a trail of blood behind him, before tearfully ringing someone for help.
He was later dropped off at the Calvary Hospital emergency department, where medical staff placed him in a coma and arranged for him to be rushed to Canberra Hospital in a helicopter.
He will have permanent scarring as a result of his injuries and associated surgical procedures.
Mr Mena and Mr Roberts were charged later in March and subsequently remanded in custody, while Ms Parlov was arrested in mid-April.
In September, all three were committed for trial.
Mr Roberts sought bail on Friday, when his lawyer, Michael Lalor, told Justice Michael Elkaim the 23-year-old had been accepted into the Karralika drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in Deakin.
Mr Lalor said his client, who was at one stage spending $500 a day on methamphetamine, could start treatment there on Monday if he was released from custody.
Crown prosecutor Anthony Williamson opposed the bail application, arguing Mr Roberts "presents a significant risk to the safety of the community".
Mr Williamson said Mr Roberts had played an active role in the most serious sort of home invasion.
He also argued Mr Roberts' history showed the 23-year-old "doesn't care about court conditions", adding the accused could "walk straight out the door any time he wants" at the rehabilitation centre.
Justice Elkaim ultimately refused the application, noting Mr Roberts had previously committed crimes while subject to bail conditions.
"The risk is simply too great on his record," the judge said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: