Melbourne prop Tui Kamikamica has been cleared to return to training but will remain subject to the NRL no-fault stand-down policy as he prepares to fight an assault charge.
Kamikamica had been stood down by the Storm last month when he was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm following an alleged incident with an unknown woman at a Brisbane nightspot.
The Storm forward only told his club of the situation following a police investigation, almost a fortnight after the incident.
He was then asked to front a formal interview with the club earlier this month, and has told the club he plans to fight the charge.
The Storm on Monday confirmed he would be able to return to training on Tuesday for the first time this pre-season.
However the Fijian international will not be able to play until his court matter is finalised, with his next hearing on January 10.
"As a result of the (NRL) policy, and having considered all available information, the club believes it is appropriate that Kamikamica returns to training tomorrow," Melbourne said in a statement.
Kamikamica's charge has come as part of a poor off-season at the club, where they have been forced to defend their culture.
Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis were fined and suspended after a white powder video scandal.
Smith also earned a strong rebuke for his expletive-laden podcast when he announced his admiration for the Sydney Roosters, where he will head in 2023.
If Kamikamica's case drags on it would shape as a significant blow to the Storm, particularly with Nelson Asofa-Solomoa's future remaining unclear.
The fellow prop was earlier this month still refusing a COVID-19 vaccination, meaning he is unable to train or play in Melbourne.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.