Lightning has sparked a house fire in an Albury home on the NSW-Victorian border, but in a bizarre turn of events the fire was put out by a burst pipe.
Wild weather struck Albury-Wodonga on Wednesday morning, with lightning striking a home in Norris Park about 11.30am.
Two parents and two children were inside and smelt smoke before alerting Triple-0.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Frank Finlay said the lightning triggered an unusual series of events.
"It sparked a fire in the roof void and burst a hot water system pipe, which extinguished the fire but then created water damage through the house," he said.
"The occupants said they felt the electricity tingling through their bodies.
"They were checked out by ambulance officers on the scene."
The incident caused extensive water damage, but Inspector Finlay said there had been a potential for a bad house fire.
"It was a fortunate set of events," he said.
"Fortunately these people were home and were able to notify the fire brigade early."
IN OTHER NEWS:
He said house fires caused by lightning weren't uncommon.
About eight firefighters attended the property and checked for fire damage in the roof before clearing after about 90 minutes.
Heavy rain and lightning strikes have caused power to be cut to properties, including the central Wodonga Woolworths, and properties in the Howlong and Corowa region.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.