A taxi driver who is accused of running down a passenger before speeding off and collecting another fare will be allowed to continue driving cabs after he was released on bail on Monday.
Hamza Bilal, 26, of Gungahlin, appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on charges of intentionally inflicting grievous bodily harm and not providing assistance after an accident causing injury.
The court heard a 26-year-old man suffered four fractures to his pelvis, a broken leg, cuts to his legs and stomach, and abrasions to his lower back in the incident.
He is still in hospital where he is awaiting further surgery. He is expected to take six weeks to recover.
A police informant told the court Bilal was the driver of a cab that picked up the man near Sub-Urban nightclub about 10pm on Friday.
During the trip, the pair argued over payment of the fare and the man was dropped off near the intersection of William Webb Drive and Callaghan Street, Evatt.
The officer said Bilal then performed a U-turn and crossed onto the wrong side of the road to run down the complainant.
The court heard the man was dragged for about 50 metres after becoming lodged under the front wheel well.
Passersby rushed to help the injured man and called emergency services but Bilal allegedly sped off before accepting another fare and continuing his shift.
Police arrested the Pakistani national and seized the vehicle for forensic examination on Saturday night after tracking him down with the help of cab company Aerial Capital Group.
The prosecution opposed bail, arguing Bilal posed a flight risk but magistrate David Mossop released Bilal on strict bail conditions.
The University of Canberra accounting student, who had already surrendered his passport, was ordered to report to police daily, not leave the country and provide a $3000 surety.
The magistrate said he had no power to prevent Bilal from driving a taxi, although the prosecution noted that that career option was probably at an end.
Bilal will reappear in court on April 12.