About 50 people were evacuated from the Canberra Institute of Technology's Reid campus on Tuesday night due to a strong smell of smoke.
Firefighters investigating the smell in the hairdressing area of Building C discovered the cause was an electrical fault in the plant room.
An Emergency Services Agency spokesman said two rooms had been evacuated as a precaution. However, there were no signs of fire.
The area will remained cordoned off until Wednesday.
ACT Fire & Rescue had departed the scene as of 7.23pm.