Canberrans queue for iPhone 5

Larissa Nicholson

A crowd queues for iphone 5 launch at 8am. Click for more photos

Canberrans queue for the iPhone 5

Canberrans queue for iPhone 5 at the new Apple store in the Canberra Centre. Photo: Larrisa Nicholson

A night out in the elements paid off for Jeremy Philp.

The bank worker from Gilmore was first in line to get his hands on the new iPhone 5, starting the queue outside Canberra Centre at 1am this morning.

Mr Philp said he got to Civic early because he was too excited about the new phone to sleep.

At 1.05am he was joined by fellow iPhone enthusiast Kaye Cougarman, of Queanbeyan, and then at 1.30am by Adam Cashmere of Belconnen.

‘‘I was actually going to rock up earlier, but it was raining, and I wanted to tell my partner that I was one of the first to get it, because he’s a really big Apple nerd and he ordered his online,’’ Ms Courgarman said.

The three held each others’ place in line while they went on coffee runs, and Mr Cashmere said while they did not know each other before this morning, they had struck up a friendship talking about ‘‘random’’ things to pass the time.

‘‘I’m the third person in the ACT to get an iPhone 5, the downside is blistering cold and very sore feet,’’ he said.

The doors to the new Apple store opened at 8am and staff applauded the first round of more than 300 enthusiastic customers as they walked in.

Among the Canberrans to leave the store with his new smartphone this morning was Brian Zhu, of Harrison. He joined the line at 4am after sheltering from the cold at a nearby McDonalds for several hours.

He was pleased about the improvements to the new model.

‘‘It’s the speed and the screen, and it’s much slimmer,’’ he said.

Downstairs in the centre, close to 50 queued for the iPhone at other phone outlets.

It has become a tradition for Apple lovers around the world to vie to be one of the first to own new products.

The iPhone 5 has a 10.2-centimetre ‘‘retina’’ display, is 20 per cent lighter than the iPhone 4S and will be able to surf the web on high-speed 4G LTE mobile networks offered by Telstra, Optus and Virgin Mobile.

They may be shiny and new, but they come at a price.  The cheapest iPhone 5, with 16 gig of memory, is selling for $799.

• I couldn't think of anything more embarrassing than being photographed in this line.

JayMo
    September 21, 2012, 11:07AM
    • Jaylo, I can. Being photographed next to you in this line. If people get excited about things good luck to them. For some Apple lovers the launch of a new product is a big deal. Why put them down? Other people are into One Direction, The Liberal Party, Tupperware etc.Que sera sera. It's not my idea of fun but whatever rocks your boat as the saying goes. I will be lining up with similar enthusiasm in a few weeks to cast my vote for Katie, just not at 6am.

Eric Olthwaite
      Canberra
      September 21, 2012, 11:24AM
    • Well said, Olthwaite. Some people are always looking for a way to be boring and always raining on other peoples' parade.

YS
      September 21, 2012, 12:40PM
    • JayMo, couldn't agree more.
      Whilst i have an iPhone and love it, these people are pathetic.
      Get a life.

Lukesington
      ACT & QLD
      September 21, 2012, 1:08PM
    • I agree with Jaymo also

Sent form my iPhone

AwkwardBeans
      September 21, 2012, 1:57PM
    • Apple Sheep Unite! George Orwell would be proud.

JayMo
      September 21, 2012, 3:22PM
  • Big Bang Theory has got a lot to answer for at times!

Outraged of Palmerston
    September 21, 2012, 11:20AM
    • I refuse to buy any Apple phones after Apples recent attempt to claim ownership rights over the whole smartphone tech debacle. Go Samsung :)

Adzz
      Canberra, Australia
      September 21, 2012, 11:24AM
      • I had to queue in line to see the new Samsung ad video (took ages to load) and although it labours over the Samsung features a bit too much it does a grand job of quantifying what a large section of the population think of these Apple 'events'.

JohnD
        (Lower) Campbell
        September 21, 2012, 11:43AM
        • Why not get out in the sunshine and enjoy nature, far more spectacluar than anything man can create! Anyway WOW. That is what this was all about. I walked past and thought they were doing casting for revenge of the nerds part 10!!! Seriously people it is a mobile phone. Your world will not stop if you are not the first people to get one!!!
          Now get back to your online dungeons and dragons, your cyber friends are missing you.

Peter
          September 21, 2012, 12:05PM

Related Coverage

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo