A Jerrabomberra scrubfire threatened ten properties and came within 15 metres of several homes before it was put out on Tuesday afternoon.
The fire near Eucalypt Rise and Bellbush Close – about one kilometre south-west of the lake – was reported at 1.30pm and was fought by about 60 firefighters from multiple agencies.
Fire & Rescue NSW incident controller Ray Buchanan said an evacuation of residents was an option.
“We were going to potentially evacuate 15 to 20 residents, but that never occurred,” Inspector Buchanan said.
“Approximately 10 properties were under threat.”
Getting the upper hand on our side of the fire. pic.twitter.com/8TFy4kdfYS— Queanbeyan RFS CAT1 (@QBNCAT1) January 7, 2014
A combined 15 units from Fire & Rescue NSW, NSW Rural Fire Service, ACT Rural Fire Service and National Parks and Wildlife ACT battled the bush and grass blaze, which burnt eight hectares.
Crews were mopping up and extinguishing final hot spots by 3.40pm and the fire was out about 6.45pm.
Earlier on Tuesday afternoon, district manager for NSW RFS Lake George, Tim Carroll, said the fire was at the back fences of several homes.
"It’s currently at a watch and act level, so if [residents] do see any fire that is unattended by firefighters can they call triple-zero," he said.
A spokesperson for NSW Fire and Rescue advised residents in the area to be careful and make sure they've reviewed their bushfire survival plan.