The demolition of Mr Fluffy asbestos homes across Canberra is expected to get under way after June this year with more than half already acquired by the ACT government.
Acting Chief Minister Simon Corbell announced on Friday more than half of all homeowners had accepted offers made through the buyback program, four months before the scheme closes.
Already 511 offers have been accepted from the 1021 affected properties in the ACT.
Mr Corbell said the latest results showed many affected homeowners were taking the opportunity to move on to another property.
"I encourage homeowners who are still considering whether or not to enter the buyback program to discuss their individual circumstances with the Asbestos Response Taskforce around what support can be provided," he said in a statement.
The government now owns 131 properties and is overseeing security and maintenance.
A pilot demolition program of a small number of affected properties will start in late March to confirm procurement, demolition and communications processes.
Two of the properties included in the pilot will be public housing.
"The Mr Fluffy response is not only an ACT government, but an ACT community response," Mr Corbell said.
"It is an issue affecting 58 suburbs across the territory and has a cost to our community of at least $400 million, even after the resale of remediated blocks. It is, and will continue to have, a significant impact on the ACT for years to come."
This week Chief Minister Andrew Barr said some compulsory acquisitions could be required if affected homeowners decided not to join the buyback scheme before June 30.
He warned homeowners they would not receive a better offer as a result of not signing up.
Mr Corbell said the taskforce would be working closely with the community ahead of the demolition program to ensure safety and security.
"Reducing the impact to the community through efficient scheduling of demolition works will also be a paramount consideration," he said.
Tenders for the demolitions are being finalised, a spokeswoman for the Asbestos Taskforce said last week.
The government has confirmed it owns affected houses in the following suburbs: Forrest, Ainslie, Downer, Griffith, Hackett, Narrabundah, O'Connor, Watson, Yarralumla, Kambah, Wanniassa, Chapman, Chifley, Curtin, Duffy, Farrer, Fisher, Garran, Holder, Hughes, Lyons, Mawson, Pearce, Rivett, Stirling, Torrens, Waramanga, Weston, Aranda, Charnwood, Cook, Evatt, Flynn, Giralang, Higgins, Holt, Latham, Macgregor, Macquarie, Melba, Page, Scullin, Spence, Weetangera.