ACT News

License article

Man found dead in burnt-out car in Victoria

The bushfires enveloping Australia's eastern states have turned deadly with a man killed in Victoria.

The man's body was found in a burnt-out car in the Seaton area in eastern Victoria on Friday, where as many as five vehicles had been destroyed.

The fire had burnt through an area of about 48,000 hectares and would continue to burn and threaten communities for weeks to come, Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley said.

A southerly change on Friday eased conditions for firefighters across Victoria and NSW and allowed the ACT Emergency Services Agency to lift the total fire ban which had been in place until midnight on Friday night.

In NSW, a fire on the South Coast was being fought under ''very erratic fire behaviour conditions'', according to the Rural Fire Service.

The Barringella Creek fire, about 12 kilometres west of Nowra, was spreading in a northerly direction and could cross the Shoalhaven River, bringing properties under threat, the RFS said.


Near Nowra, a rural property owner was taken to hospital after fire swept through a farm and destroyed a shed on the town's outskirts.

A bushfire in the Bega Valley that razed two properties continues to pose a threat.

The fire, west of Merimbula, crossed the Princes Highway on Friday and was threatening properties between Wolumla and Millingandi.

Two properties and two sheds were destroyed in the blaze, which has burnt 150 hectares.

Fire crews were also fighting to protect properties in northern Sydney as a fire continued to burn in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.

Meanwhile, a fast-moving grass fire east of Young was no longer posing a threat to the town of Boorowa, about 100 kilometres north of Canberra.

The Boorowa fire started about 12.54pm on Friday and soon ripped through dry countryside on the edges of the Young state forest, destroying 1500 hectares before the end of the day.

Local farmer Mick Brian, who has been a volunteer with the NSW Rural Fire Service for more than 20 years, said he was struck by how quickly the fire had burned.

''It's pretty ferocious, one of the worst I've seen,'' he said.

No lives had been lost or homes damaged by Friday evening.

On the ground, 180 firefighters with 60 tankers fought the flames and built containment lines, while overhead two fixed-wing planes, two helicopters and an air crane dropped water foam and flame-retardant powder on the fire.

The fire started about 16 kilometres west of Boorowa, and police are investigating its cause.

Tim Carroll, a spokesman for the NSW RFS, said the fire had ''covered a lot of ground because of the conditions today''.

Crews were also on the scene east of Cooma where firefighters managed to keep the fire within containment lines. The Yarrabin blaze, which has already burnt through more the 12,000 hectares, was downgraded from "watch and act'' late on Friday as the intense winds and temperatures eased.

Crews were also called to small outbreaks near Bungendore where winds reignited flames within the burnt perimeter.

Despite the dangerous conditions, there were no fires reported throughout the capital.

The Emergency Services Agency said Canberra may be affected by smoke from large fires burning in Victoria as conditions ease locally to a fire danger rating of high. with AAP