Kangaroo cull count may fall short of target

Professional shooters may fail in reaching their target for the capital’s annual kangaroo cull by the July 31 deadline, following repeated legal delays by activists.

The program had been given the green light after a decision handed down by the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Wednesday, ruling that 1244 kangaroos could be shot by the end of July. A further interim application lodged by the Australian Society for Kangaroos on Friday was dismissed.

ACT Municipal Services Minister Shane Rattenbury confirmed on Monday that culling operations had begun, but the delays had left a narrow window for shooters.

“No doubt this will have an impact on the original target,” he said.

“… There are a few factors against reaching that original target.”

Speaking on ABC Radio, Mr Rattenbury said “minor adjustments” had been made due to the presence of activists across the seven sites.

“There have been protesters on site,” he said.

“I believe some warnings have been issued, but I’m not aware of any major incidents at this point.”

Activists had vowed to disrupt shooting across the reserves – Callum Brae, Goorooyarroo, Kama, Mount Painter, Mullanggari, Mulligan’s Flat and The Pinnacle – but those caught trespassing could be fined up to $5500 under the Nature Conservation Act.

Animal Liberation ACT spokeswoman Carolyn Drew said activists had been out over the weekend since shooting on Friday evening, but she contradicted Mr Rattenbury's claims that warnings had been issued.

"We were sitting there from 10.30pm till 5am waiting," she said.

"As far as I know, no fines or warnings were issued."

An ACT Government spokeswoman confirmed that one written warning had been issued as of 2pm on Monday.

• If the protesters are disrupting the cull then action should be taken against them. They have appealed and lost, that does not give them the right to then go against the AAT's decision.
    My husband drives the Cotter Road to get to work and he is constantly having to avoid hitting kangaroos. The other night an oncoming car swerved to avoid hitting a kangaroo and narrowly missed a front end collison with my husbands car.
    Will the activists come and help me if my husband is killed or injured from avoiding hitting a kangaroo - I doubt it.

Fine the protesters
    July 15, 2013, 9:18AM
    • The cull is not intended to reduce roo strikes on the road.

I doubt the numbers being culled will have any noticeable effect on the on the overall population of kangaroos in the ACT, as it is targeted at a small number of fairly small reserves.

Even I as an immigrant, know that you DO NOT SWERVE FOR ROOS. So it sounds like bad driving is to blame for the car-car near miss.

IrishPete
      July 15, 2013, 2:12PM
    • IrishPete - swerving to miss something is an outo-reaction that would require serious training to change or correct. Try not ducking with something headed straight for your face!

Congratulations on being an immigrant and knowing a road safety rule, but while many know it executing it in the heat of the moment is an entirely different thing.

ACT
      July 15, 2013, 3:13PM
    • Irish Pete, have you ever been in a situation where you may have hit a kangaroo at night? Whether you swerve or not, the impact can do some serious damage and it can throw your car off course. Perhaps a little humility wouldn't go astray before you start lecturing those of us who've been here for quite a while about how to drive on Australian roads.

Aussie Frank
      July 15, 2013, 3:46PM
    • not only do I know it, I do it. Probably once every few days. Even in the 2.6 tonne 4wd with the steel bullbar.

IrishPete
      July 15, 2013, 7:43PM
  • Get more shooters in?

Outraged of Palmerston
    July 15, 2013, 9:36AM
    • If this is deemed to be a worksite and the protesters are interfering and causing a safety breach by being in the area shouldn't work cover enforce the rules. If someone does get hurt who is going to be responsible. I can see the shooters suing because of an unsafe work environment and I can see an activist suing because the government didn't enforce it.

ngwalker
      Banks
      July 15, 2013, 10:56AM
      • Pity we couldn't make up the difference with foxes, rabbits, dogs, cats, horses and so forth.

Stephen
        July 15, 2013, 11:43AM
        • Nice to see you've left that list open ended, Stephen. So anyone who annoys you or is said by someone else to be a 'pest' is fair game?

MOS
          July 15, 2013, 1:31PM
      • Fine the protesters, I couldn't have said it any better. I live in an area in south Canberra that constantly has kangaroos bouncing across the busy main streets. I had a near miss the other Saturday at 10am with 2 kangaroos jumping out from behind bushes. Luckily enough I wasn't going to fast and was able to break in time.

Will the activist pay for the damage to our cars or pay for the time we miss from work if we have a major accident due to the kangaroos coming into populated areas? I think not. If they continue to disrupt these culls, they should be fined and if need be jailed.

Concerned
        ACT
        July 15, 2013, 12:11PM

Related Coverage

Activists vow to disrupt shooting as roo cull approved by tribunal

Animal liberationists have vowed to try and disrupt the shooting of kangaroos in ACT nature reserves.

Kangaroo cull protesters lose last minute legal bid

Animal rights activists have launched another legal bid to disrupt the capital's controversial kangaroo cull.

Kangaroo cull to 'bolster' Senate bid

The Animal Justice Party's ACT Senate candidate Marcus Fillinger believes his chances at the polls have been boosted by the ongoing debate over kangaroo culling in Canberra.

'If we don't stand our ground, who will?'

Gates to seven Canberra nature reserves have been locked as protesters prepare to block a kangaroo culling they say will have unintended consequences.

Roo target in doubt as protests disrupt cull

Animal activists claimed a strategic victory over shooters involved in Canberra's annual kangaroo cull on Monday, saying they had disrupted shooting in the Pinnacle Nature Reserve.

Related Coverage