Rugby Union


Brumbies confident of Super Rugby stability despite chief executive rumours

The ACT Brumbies are edging closer to finalising a deal with superstar flanker David Pocock and the organisation is confident it has the back-room stability to maintain on-field success.

The Brumbies have denied rumours they are set to part ways with chief executive Michael Jones after a board meeting last week prompted rumours about his future.

The Brumbies have won their opening three games of the Super Rugby season for just the second time in 11 years and the club is touted as a championship favourite.

Coach Stephen Larkham is negotiating with several players, including Pocock, about new contracts and the club has re-signed scrumhalf Joe Powell and props Scott Sio and Allan Alaalatoa in the past two weeks.

But there has been tension building in areas away from the field, stemming from an Australian Federal Police investigation into anomalies into transactions between 2009 and 2013.

The investigation is ongoing and has been the source of relationships fraying as rumours circulate.


Jones did not want to comment on rumours other than to reiterate his commitment to staying at the Brumbies and standing by the club's on-field and off-field performance.

The Brumbies board has refused to buy into speculation and declined to comment.

The board has met several times in the past two weeks to try to smooth out back-room dealings while Larkham has the players firing on the field.

The team plays against the Cape Town Stormers in South Africa on Sunday morning for a chance to win its fourth game in a row.

Pocock is yet to decide on his future, but it's understood he is getting closer to a deal which could allow him to take study options abroad while also juggling a potential playing stint in Japan next year.

Sources close to the ARU hope all parties can agree to terms, but are taking a patient approach to any negotiations.

The openside flanker is expected to take his place in the Brumbies' starting team against the Stormers despite breaking his nose in the 31-14 win against the Western Force last weekend.