ACT News

Man wounded in Stirling during series of overnight shootings in Canberra

A man was wounded after he answered the door of his Stirling home on Thursday night in one of three bikie-related shootings in Canberra overnight.

Police said the 36-year-old man – who has links to an outlaw motorcycle gang – suffered ankle and shoulder wounds in the incident about 10pm.

The scene of a shooting at Barlee Place in Stirling.
The scene of a shooting at Barlee Place in Stirling. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

Another man was lucky to escape injury in a later incident, when he chased a car after  his Belconnen home was shot at, only to have another round fired into the bonnet of his car.

Police said each incident had been targeted and was related to outlaw motorcycle gang activity.

Officers would not say whether the gunfire had been between rival gangs or was the activity of members of one group.

But Fairfax Media understands the night's violence was not the result of a turf war, although it could have links to the newly established Comanchero chapter in Canberra.


The mayhem began about 9.50pm when shots were fired into a home at Boustead Circuit in Kambah.

Police arrived to find the front window shattered by the gun blast.

It is understood no one was at home at the time.

Minutes later, the man was shot in Barlee Place.

When police arrived they found the man injured and the front door damaged.

He was taken to Canberra Hospital to be treated for the non-life threatening injuries.

A silver Mitsubishi Outlander 4WD was seen at both locations.

At a third incident, about 5.15am, police were called after shots were fired into a home on Pawsey Circuit in Florey when two people were inside.

The two were not injured.

One occupant followed a blue Ford Falcon G6 sedan, with alloy wheels, but broke off the pursuit when a shot was fired at his vehicle.

Deputy Chief Police Officer Justine Gough said police  believed all three incidents were related and confirmed that all were bikie gang-related. 

"We believe that each incident is targeted due to issues between the parties, and detectives have made significant inroads in each investigation," she said.

But police were keen to assure the public the city was safe and these were not "random acts".

"While we have seen a recent increase in firearm-related incidents this year, all incidents have been targeted attacks and not random," acting Deputy Chief Police Officer Gough said.

"We want to reassure the community that we are actively investigating all of these incidents, and we treat all firearm offences extremely seriously."

An ACT Health spokesman declined to provide an update on the victim's condition or whether he remained in hospital on Friday night.

The incidents come in the wake of five shootings within 10 days in February.

At least one of  these was believed to be linked to the emergence of a Canberra Comanchero chapter last year.

Meanwhile, a Canberra man who is under investigation in relation to the Gowrie shooting lost a second bid for bail in the ACT Magistrates Court.

Harley Dean Stott, also known as Harley Boardman, 22, on Friday pleaded guilty to two alleged offences that related to a stolen white Volvo.

Prosecutors said he was also under investigation in relation to the February shooting during a court appearance for the theft last month. 

However, no charges have been laid in relation to that matter.

Stott's defence lawyer argued his client would be willing to comply with a nightly curfew, report daily to police and had a friend who could offer surety if he was granted bail. 

He said Stott's stint in custody had been "a sobering experience" and he would continue to work as a car detailer if released.

Prosecutor Paul Sweeney argued the proposed bail conditions would not be effective and there was a high likelihood Stott would engage in criminal activity. 

Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker denied bail on grounds  Stott's extensive criminal history meant there was "a very significant risk" he would reoffend.

She ordered a pre-sentence report be completed before the matter returned to court next month.

Any witnesses are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1300 333 000 or via