Police say it is "absolutely astounding" a young boy survived a fiery crash south of Canberra that left three people dead.
Emergency services were called just before 11.30pm on Wednesday after a Ford Falcon sedan and a Citroen sedan collided on the Monaro Highway at Michelago.
The Citroen caught fire, and the driver and a passenger died at the scene. Police said they had not been formally identified, but were believed to be a man and a girl.
The man driving the Ford sedan was the sole occupant of that car, and also died at the scene. He had also not been formally identified on Thursday afternoon.
An 11-year-old boy who was travelling in the Citroen was the only survivor.
A NSW Police spokeswoman said the boy suffered minor injuries and was taken in a stable condition to Canberra Hospital.
NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Command assistant commissioner Michael Corboy said the boy was in a "satisfactory" condition.
"Those of you who will see the photos and the pictures of that crash will see how horrific that crash is," he said.
"I'm absolutely astounded one person has survived, thank goodness."
Police are yet to formally identify the crash victims, due to the nature of the crash, and officers from the Monaro Police District are investigating the cause.
The Monaro Highway was closed in both directions for almost 10 hours after the crash.
A Transport for NSW spokesperson said all lanes reopened at 9.18am on Thursday after police had finished at the scene and the road had been inspected and cleared of debris.
The highway is the major road from Sydney and Canberra to the NSW ski-fields.
Horrific period on NSW roads
The crash was part of a horrific 48 hours on NSW roads that left seven people dead.
Assistant Commissioner Corboy said the road safety message had been working so far with the number of deaths reduced compared with last year, but it was "frustrating" how bad the past 24 hours had been on the roads.
"We have a highly visible presence in NSW and our job is to keep reminding the public and the drivers and the pedestrians and the motorcyclists of their responsibilities," he said.
"We want to make sure that people think about what they're doing before they get in their car, or get on their bike, or walk across the road. We need people to take responsibility for that."
Also on Wednesday, a 74-year-old man was killed after his Jaguar sedan veered off the road and rolled at Pheasants Nest in Sydney's south about 8.05am.
A few hours later, about 11am, a 30-year-old man died at the scene of a crash between his Mitsubishi Lancer and a Range Rover Evoque at Norah Head on the NSW Central Coast.
An 89-year-old woman also died in hospital on Wednesday after reversing into a brick wall at Sylvania in Sydney on Tuesday.
Another fatal crash happened on the Mitchell Highway at Wellington about 9.30am on Thursday, with police still at the scene late on Thursday morning.
Rachel Clun is a reporter at the Sydney Morning Herald. She was previously a reporter with the Brisbane Times and Domain.