A $500 million redevelopment of the Australian War Memorial has been formally approved by federal parliament.
The major project was endorsed with little fanfare on Thursday morning, with Tasmanian independent MP Andrew Wilkie the only person to voice their opposition.
"I request that my name be recorded in Hansard as opposing this outrageous expenditure at this point in time," he told the lower house.
Greens leader Adam Bandt later stated his opposition on social media.
"People are starving, facing homelessness, trying desperately to find work - and instead of helping them, the government is spending half a billion on the war memorial," he said.
"What a disgraceful use of money that could be used to change lives."
Parliament's public works committee signed off on the redevelopment earlier this week.
But in a rare dissenting report, Labor committee members Tony Zappia and David Smith quibbled with the price tag.
"Labor members believe that the government should consider a range of lower cost options that would still meet the stated purpose of the proposed works, while achieving better cost effectiveness and value for money for the taxpayer," they said.
The pair also called for Anzac Hall to be "adaptively reused" rather than destroyed.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.