Sydney's Metro program will undergo a major review after a $21 billion cost blowout. Premier Chris Minns says the project became plagued by overruns and delays under the the previous government.
SYDNEY METRO WEST
* A 24-kilometre underground railway to connect Greater Parramatta and the CBD
* Government claims the project has overrun initial estimates by $12 billion to $25.32 billion
* Estimated to open in 2030 at the earliest, compared to initial estimates of mid-late 2020s.
SYDNEY METRO CITY AND SOUTHWEST
* Continuation of existing north shore line to connect Chatswood and Bankstown
* Government claims the project has overrun initial estimates by $9 billion to $20.5 billion
* Has exceeded figure most recently put forward by the former coalition government by $2 billion.
* Will examine delivery models, project governance and passenger impacts, and report on the best way to "resuscitate" the state's transport infrastructure pipeline.
* Headed by Mike Mrdak, who brings more than a decade experience as a federal departmental secretary including as head of the Infrastructure Department.
* Deputy Chair named as Amanda Yeates - former deputy director general for Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.