The City of Sydney has become the latest NSW council to support a ban on gas stoves in new homes.
A motion supported by eight out of 10 councillors on Monday night initiates the process to require new homes and businesses across the municipality to be electric and gas free.
NSW Premier Chris Minns had previously indicated that the state would not pursue a ban on new gas connections because of energy supply issues.
He said at the time NSW didn't need "another complication" when it came to energy challenges facing the state.
Waverly City Council in Sydney's eastern suburbs and the Parramatta City Council have both recently explored ending gas supply to new buildings in those areas.
The move followed analysis from climate activism group 350 Australia that found if the City of Sydney prevented new homes being connected to gas, each new household would save an average of $430 per year on their energy bills.
Across the city, the total energy bill savings for all new households would add up to over $256 million in today's dollars.
"Gas is a potent, fossil fuel that is accelerating the intersecting human and ecological crises caused by a heating planet. We need to end the age of fossil fuels now and we can start by eliminating toxic methane gas from our homes, shops and businesses," 350 Australia CEO Lucy Manne said.
"Only gas corporations benefit from keeping our homes and businesses connected to gas."
The motion would alter the council's planning rules to require new homes and businesses, including apartments, to include electric appliances like stoves, cooktops, heaters and hot water units, instead of gas ones.
The Victorian Government recently announced the phasing out of gas in a bid to slash energy bills and reduce household emissions.
From January 1, 2024, planning permits for new homes and residential subdivisions will only connect to all-electric networks in a move that is expected to save households about $1000 each year on energy bills.
It follows a gas ban approved in the ACT in June as part of the 2045 goal to become an all-electric city.
According to health experts, a child living with a gas stove faces a similar asthma risk to a child exposed to secondhand cigarette smoke.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.