ID scanner glitch allows 116 banned revellers into nightlife hot spots
Advertisement

ID scanner glitch allows 116 banned revellers into nightlife hot spots

A glitch in the state's ID scanner system allowed more than 100 banned revellers into Safe Night Precincts for almost two months, police have admitted.

From September 29 to November 22, 116 people banned under Queensland's lockout laws were able to get into Safe Night Precincts.

ID scanners came into effect on July 1, 2017.

ID scanners came into effect on July 1, 2017.Credit:Wayne Taylor

The technical issue has been fixed.

Two of the banned revellers were found by officers inside these zones and were detected because they committed offences including public nuisance, obstructing police and stealing.

Advertisement

The two-month hole in the net opened because some of the bans prematurely expired in the system.

Loading

"The QPS is responsible for the transfer of banned person data to the ID scanner network introduced for relevant premises in Safe Night Precincts," police said in a statement.

"Ongoing monitoring of data quality identified on November 8 that some banning orders had prematurely expired on a QPS system.

"The issue has since been fixed and no further instances of premature expiry of banning notice data have occurred."

As of Wednesday, 857 people had been banned from Safe Night Precincts across the state.

The 116 expired banning notices have been reactivated and police said audits were being conducted to ensure the glitch did not happen again.

LNP leader Deb Frecklington described the issue as "another IT bungle of the Palaszczuk government".

The ID scanners were introduced on July 1, 2017, and after three months of use, about 3 million Queenslanders had had their licences or passports logged, with 125 people on banning orders caught trying to enter venues.

Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik was able to bypass the ID scanners, after his police security detail arranged for him to enter Jade Buddha bar on Eagle Street in August last year.

Police Commissioner Ian Stewart was forced to apologise, but said the officers involved would not be prosecuted.

- with Felicity Caldwell

Toby Crockford is a breaking news reporter at the Brisbane Times

Most Viewed in National

Loading
Advertisement