There are "no excuses" for Canberrans flouting COVID-19 restrictions, police say, as some businesses were found not following social distancing rules this weekend.
Detective Superintendent Jason Kennedy, who is on the COVID-19 Taskforce, said several restaurants weren't complying with social distancing rules this weekend, although officers were happy with the conduct at bars and pubs.
"Police are working with those restaurants and we'll be going back over the next weekend and following weekends, anyone found not complying are likely to find themselves facing a fine of up to $5,000," he told ABC Radio.
No cautions were handed out this weekend and ACT Policing have not issued any fines throughout the pandemic.
Chief Police Officer Neil Gaughan said on Friday police would take a "no tolerance" approach to enforcing social distancing and self-isolation rules after coronavirus returned to the ACT with five cases reported last week.
"There are no excuses now. We've been living with COVID-19 for several months and we are all aware of our personal responsibilities," he said.
Since restrictions were imposed in March, police have issued nine warnings to businesses. Canberrans made 40 reports of non-compliance to the COVID-19 hotline since the territory's first cases in one month were reported on Wednesday.
Police have been checking in on the hundreds of people in self-isolation since new rules were imposed on anyone returning from Victoria.
The outbreak in Melbourne continues to worsen as the state recorded another 273 cases on Sunday.
ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said anyone in breach of restrictions could expect police to take stronger action.
"We're getting to the point were there has been a long time to understand what these rules are. If businesses are not complying with them, now the time is coming where stronger reinforcement action will be taken," she said.
From July 3, anyone returning from a Melbourne hotspot is required to self-isolate for two weeks. This direction was extended on July 6 to include anyone returning from Melbourne and again on July 8 for anyone returning from Victoria.
People who have returned from the state in the two weeks prior to July 3 were urged last week to self-isolate.
Ms Stephen-Smith recognised "quarantine is difficult" but urged anyone who had returned from Victoria in the two weeks prior to July 3 to contact ACT Health even if they are not legally required.
"What we're also saying ... if you have been in Melbourne in the last couple of weeks [prior to mandatory self-isolation] please stay at home as much as you can, monitor your health extremely closely and get tested at the first slightest sign of symptoms of COVID-19," she said.
"Even if you're not legally required to quarantine please give ACT Health a call to discuss your individual circumstances if you have been in Melbourne particularly in the last 14 days."
She said the full impact of the Victorian outbreak on the ACT would not be known for at least a week.