Plans for the long-awaited Canberra Hospital expansion project have been revealed, and they include more emergency department treatment spaces than originally promised.
A development application for the project was finally notified on Wednesday.
The Canberra Hospital expansion, originally dubbed "SPIRE", was a major election commitment in 2016 when the Labor government pledged it would be open by 2022.
However it has since been plagued with delays, and is not set for completion until 2024.
The development application revealed new details of the more than $600 million project, including that it would feature 72 new emergency department treatment spaces, bringing the total number in the hospital to 147.
Previously, the ACT government had said the project would only feature 39 new ED treatment spaces.
The application also revealed a new "welcome hall" would be added to the project.
A government brochure said the hall would "encourage community activities including education events, markets and performances".
ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said it would also "improve the arrival experience and help with wayfinding, while also separating the movement of patients to support patient privacy and dignity".
A new landscaped courtyard that backed onto pediatric ED services had also been added, as had an "Indigenous community gathering space" that included a yarning circle and barbecue facilities, and a cafe terrace.
Some changes to the project had been flagged in a pre-development application that circulated in December last year, like a "reflective garden" that, in the new application, included more deep-shade canopy trees.
Other new additions to Wednesday's development application were increased natural light, wider patient corridors, more short-term accessible and public parking, more greenery, and better views of it from inside the hospital.
The application also flagged the expansion project would add 156 new inpatient beds to the hospital, when the government had previously said 148 inpatient beds would be added.
The ACT government had also previously flagged the project would add 60 intensive care unit spaces to the hospital, as well as 22 operating theatres.
Developer Multiplex won the contract for the Canberra Hospital expansion, but Major Projects Canberra is overseeing the project.
The latter's chief projects manager Duncan Edghill said on Thursday the designs had been refined with the public's comments in mind.
"We identified several key areas of priority to the community," he said.
"These included comments in relation to the emergency department, ensuring adequate seating and amenity for visitors, ensuring the building is easy to navigate and car parking.
"The design addresses these themes so as to deliver a world-class facility for patients, staff and visitors alike."
Ms Stephen-Smith said she was pleased early works had started on the Canberra Hospital expansion, so community services would not be disrupted when further demolition started.
"We know that parking on the Canberra Hospital campus remains an issue, which is why we are also building a car park with 1100 spaces for hospital staff on the former CIT site," she said.
Demolition of another two Canberra Hospital buildings was set to start in the middle of the year, and construction of the new hospital expansion was due to start in late 2021.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: