The Crown and defence cases have closed in the trial of Domenic Perre, the man accused of the 1994 bombing of the National Crime Authority office in Adelaide.
The 64-year-old has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen and the attempted murder of lawyer Peter Wallis over the attack.
Sgt Bowen died from horrific injuries, including the loss of his left arm, while Mr Wallis lost an eye and suffered severe burns.
After leading evidence from a range of witnesses over the past seven months, the Crown wrapped up the prosecution case on Wednesday.
Perre elected not to give evidence in his own defence.
The trial will now proceed to final arguments from July 29 after which Justice Kevin Nicholson, who is presiding without a jury, will consider his verdicts.
Opening the proceedings last year, lead prosecutor Sandi McDonald described the bombing as a personal attack on Sgt Bowen.
She said Perre's hostility towards him had grown because of their interactions following the seizure of a multi-million dollar cannabis crop in the Northern Territory in August 1993.
While a number of people had been arrested, Perre was also suspected of being involved and was targeted by police and Sgt Bowen, who had been seconded to the NCA.
Ms McDonald said at the time of his death, almost all of the officer's work had involved the drug crop with the accused being a principal target.
"It is the prosecution case that it was no accident that Geoffrey Bowen died as a result of this bomb detonating. He was the intended target," she said.
"The bomber intended that the parcel bomb travel through Australia Post and end up in the hands of Bowen and that when he opened it his body would suffer the full force of the explosion.
"If there was not such clear evidence that this in fact happened, it would be hard to believe that such a plan could be so well executed.
"Geoffrey Bowen was the target and he ended up dead."
During the trial, witnesses detailed admissions Perre allegedly made while in jail for other offences and also told the court how the accused talked of conducting an experiment with an "explosive compound" in the months before the blast.
But his defence team said Perre had been "explicit" in proclaiming his innocence both immediately after the bombing and in relation to the charges he currently faced.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.