The Canberra Raiders will play the Newcastle Knights on Sunday after a Covid-induced snap lockdown forced all three of Saturday's NRL matches to be postponed.
Originally scheduled to kick-off at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium at 5.30pm on Saturday, the match was postponed after the Queensland government had banned all sport from occurring after 4pm.
The NRL had looked at Canberra as an option to allow the season to go ahead uninterrupted, opening discussions with the ACT government to shift the Raiders game to Canberra Stadium - with the hope to move the other four remaining fixtures to the capital as well.
Townsville was also looked at as an option.
The ACT government asked the NRL to put together a proposal, which chief health officer Dr Kerryn Coleman would then have considered, but the governing body opted to postpone the games instead with the Canberra move now off the cards.
The NRL was given the green light to continue the competition in Brisbane late on Saturday night.
Saturday's games will now go ahead on Sunday, before a double-header on Monday night for the games originally scheduled for Sunday.
It comes after the league put forward a plan to Queensland Health to resume, with all players under stringent restrictions.
Players will be tested daily for COVID-19, there will be compulsory masks for all players and officials not playing as well as reduced personnel at games.
"Our games will be played under the toughest protocols since the competition resumed on May 28 last year," NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said.
"These protocols further minimise the risk of community infection. We've proven over the last two years that we can play safely and the additional measures agreed to tonight will further enhance that."
MORE RAIDERS NEWS
Under the changes, Penrith and Melbourne will now be the 4pm Sunday game broadcast on the Nine Network and Fox, while Newcastle face Canberra at 1.50pm and St George Illawarra clash with South Sydney at 6.25pm.
Canterbury will then face Gold Coast at 6pm on Monday night, before Cronulla and Manly clash at 8.05pm.
Crowds will be banned at all matches.
Crucially, the NRL is confident that even if the Queensland lockdown extends beyond Tuesday in the south-east, it will be able to continue the season.
AAP understands talks have already began with the state government on being able to play with no crowds in the Brisbane region.
Moving into other regions is also an option, with officials at Townsville's Queensland Country Bank Stadium putting their hands up to host matches.
Victoria or even regional NSW could represent other options, with brief discussions held with the former on Saturday.
Challenges would, however, remain with players' families remaining in quarantine on the Gold Coast, potentially creating issues if the competition is shifted elsewhere.
"Every option is on the table," ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said.
Officials had been caught off guard when Queensland Health announced a ban on professional sport on Saturday, expecting only a lockdown.
That shocked players and staff, with South Sydney already on a plane to Rockhampton to face St George Illawarra while other players were stuck in their hotels.
If further issues arise the NRL does have room to move in its schedule if games have to be pushed back or the competition is suspended, with the end-of-year World Cup unlikely to proceed.