The ACT has reported 35 new cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm Thursday, as the territory enters a new phase of accepting some community transmission of the virus.
A woman in her 70s with COVID has also died, at the Calvary Haydon Aged Care Facility.
"ACT Health extends its sincere condolences to this person's loved ones. Our thoughts are with their family and friends at this difficult time," it said in a statement.
There are 16 Canberrans in hospital, and eight of them are in intensive care. This is an increase from the six in intensive care reported on Thursday. The government has not said how many are requiring ventilation. It is also only reporting the number of Canberrans in its hospital, and not including any who might be there from NSW.
No details were provided on the number of cases deemed a risk of transmission in the community.
493 people have COVID in the ACT, and there have been cases 1394 in this outbreak.
The ACT has also hit the 76 per cent mark for people aged over 12 with two vaccine doses.
ACT Chief Minister said earlier that the territory had reached a first vaccine rate of 99 per cent.
Mr Barr, who held a press conference before the daily figures were revealed, said the next easing of restrictions was still planned for October 29. Further details of those next steps would be provided before then.
"I don't want to create an expectation that things are going to move faster than that," the Chief Minister said of the October 29 scheduled next change of restrictions.
Mr Barr also tried to clarify the rules about crossing the border, after confusion on what people are allowed to do.
Canberrans can go to the NSW border regions for a range of essential reasons, going to a pub is not included, he said.
"My advice between now and 1st of November, is that travel across the border is for those essential reasons."
The reasons are broader than they used to be, but are not for holidays and/or recreation, but about a defined reason for going.
Canberra adjusts to a new normal
The new cases were announced as restrictions in the territory were eased, ending nine weeks of lockdown.
Current modelling suggested that for the next few weeks Canberra's hospitals could expected between 17 to 20 cases in wards and up to eight people in intensive care.
ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith described the modelling as a "moveable feast" and that it would not be helpful to release a "point-in-time" model as it would be updated weekly, however, Ms Stephen-Smith said she could discuss the modelling on a weekly basis.
NSW health authorities have moved to ease COVID-19 restrictions for people entering NSW from the territory, making Canberrans "subject to the same rules as people who live in NSW".
The shift in policy ramps up expectations on ACT to replicate restrictions for NSW residents coming into Canberra.
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: