The ACT government has temporarily shut down 32 construction sites in the past three months, as part of a renewed crackdown on dodgy building work.
Access Canberra's building regulators have also inspected 180 sites since the start of the year, as it attempts to shake a widely-held perception that it's failed to respond to the problems plaguing Canberra's construction sector.
Release of the figures comes as the ACT Assembly's inquiry into building quality prepares to hold its first public hearings on Wednesday, more than a year after the probe was announced.
The inquiry was ordered in response to concerns from industry groups and consumers about the prevalence of defects in new developments across the ACT.
Detailed in the 100 submissions to the inquiry are numerous accounts of non-compliant building work at apartment complexes, delays in construction and owners being left out of pocket after contractors collapsed.
Numerous submissions raised concern about the potential for conflicts of interest with the use of private certifiers, which is set to be a key focus of the long-awaited inquiry.
Access Canberra has also been singled out for particular criticism, with dozens of owners calling out the agency's apparently lax approach to policing building quality.
The regulator has ramped up enforcement activity in the past three months, with new figures showing it has issued 32 stop-work notices on construction sites in the past three months. The figure includes the 17 stop-work notices handed at sites in Gungahlin in March.
The government last month launched new builder's licence exams and will soon start consultation on a code of conduct for builders and surveyors, although it remains more than a year behind schedule in the implementation of its full reform package.
Master Builders Association of the ACT chief executive Michael Hopkins said the government had in recent months made "noticeable progress" in reforming the sector, noting the surge in enforcement action.
Mr Hopkins said the inquiry presented an opportunity to explore further changes, include the introduction of licensing for more construction trades.
Owners Corporation Network present Gary Petherbridge welcomed the start of the inquiry, but noted past reviews had largely failed to improve the standard of building quality in the ACT.
Mr Petherbridge said the government needed to be more aggressive in "naming and shaming" dodgy builders, arguing it would both deter bad practice and create a more informed consumer market.
Minister for Building Quality Improvement Gordan Ramsay said the government was "on track with a clear path" to improving construction standards in the ACT.
"When I was appointed as Minister for Building Quality I undertook to listen to industry and consumers about how we could build better homes for all stakeholders across the territory," Mr Ramsay said.
"Once the committee delivers its final report, the government will consider their recommendations in relation to our already comprehensive reform agenda."
Denman Prospect homeowner Daniel Hines hopes the inquiry will result in reforms which make builders and contractors more accountable for sub-standard work.
Mr Hines moved into his $1.2 million home in October 2017, and soon noticed problems with the concreting and floorboards. The issue was raised with the builder and contractors, which resulted in "a lot of finger-pointing" but no remedy.
"There is no accountability, it doesn't seem like anyone wants to take responsibility," Mr Hines said.
'You'd think that the warranty would stop with the builder. You'd think there would be some sort of code of conduct which makes them liable."