The High Court of Australia won't sit in Canberra again until October as refurbishment works take place inside its nearly 40-year-old building.
Sittings in August and September have been moved from the capital as the building's outdated air conditioning system is overhauled, coming as obsolete doors are replaced at the court's front entrance.
Public events, tours and concerts at the court will continue during the works, which are considered too disruptive to hearings in the building's three courtrooms and work in the administrative areas and justices' chambers.
A temporary construction shelter has been added to the glass facade during the entrance way works, due to be completed by the end of the month.
The court does not sit during July but the justices will relocate for a total of 20 sitting days during the works, split between August in Brisbane and Melbourne in September.
Hearings are due to return to Canberra for sittings commencing October 9.
Opened by the Queen in April 1980, the High Court's late brutalist building on Lake Burley Griffin has required a range of improvements, including major renovations works to rectify structural and safety problems in the western forecourt in 2013.
About 50,000 custom-made tiles had to be imported from Italy, later found to be too long and requiring modification to fit the existing pattern. The forecourt's trees had to be removed and replaced, with problematic retaining walls and landscaping also requiring rectification.
It was later revealed a court employee had made an unauthorised visit to the Italian factory with her boyfriend.
A spokesman for the court said the works had been successfully delivered on time and within budget, with required parliamentary and planning approval.
In 2011 the forecourt fountain was restored after four years, with new underground rainwater tanks installed.
Previous repairs to the building have seen occupation health and safety upgrades, security upgrades, the removal of asbestos and rectification of the leaking roof.
"The High Court of Australia is unable to sit in Canberra while the High Court building's 37-year-old air conditioning system undergoes refurbishment," the court said in a statement.
"The Court's August 2017 sittings will therefore be held in Brisbane and the September 2017 sittings will be held in Melbourne.
"The High Court building will remain open to the public for registry purposes, visits and school tours and concerts."
Architects Edwards, Madigan, Torzillo and Briggs won a design competition for the court building in 1972, with the $46.5 million development completed by PDC Constructions.
The High Court–National Gallery Precinct was entered on the National Heritage List in 2007.
Correction: An earlier version of this story said previous construction works at the High Court had been referred to the Australian Federal Police. A spokesman said this was incorrect.