Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed on Monday he is seeking to change the way consultation occurs on proposed developments, aiming to bring typically-unheard voices into the process.
Mr Barr suggested a new approach to planning consultation during talkback on ABC radio on Friday, hinting at a quota-style system that would require bureaucrats to consult with different demographics on development proposals.
The suggestion came in the wake of the Manuka Oval backdown earlier this month, a development that was dumped in the wake of heated community opposition.
That $800 million development would have seen a hotel, serviced apartments, retail, residential and office space built around the oval, while also bankrolling an upgrade to the stadium worth $80 million to $100 million.
Opposition centred around the impact on heritage, particularly on the Manuka Pool, congestion, and the unsolicited nature of the bid from an interstate developer.
Mr Barr said on Monday he was committed to working towards a more "representative model" of consultation.
"I am committed to moving community consultation towards a more representative model, whereby the Government is required to obtain the views of a variety of demographics in the community," Mr Barr said.
"Currently, our community consultation is based on a time schedule – there is no distinction between whether a consultation process gets feedback from two Canberrans, or 100 Canberrans.
He said there can be "significant chunks of the community" whose views are not sought under the current model.
"We need to make our consultation better to ensure we are getting the views of the people that these changes will affect most."