Curtin business owners say they're relieved more than a year of uncertainty surrounding of the suburb's shops has come to an end.
The re-development of the Curtin shops is likely to start in coming weeks, after the Curtin Residents Association dropped their appeal of the development to the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal earlier this week.
The plans would see a five-storey mixed residential and commercial development built on the site.
After months of delays to the redevelopment, which saw many businesses forced to close as early as January last year due to the decline in foot traffic, businesses have said they could move on and look forward to the future.
Curtin Barber Shop and Ladies Hairdresser owner Iradj Darrish welcomed the news of the dropped appeal and said he was relieved when he found out.
"It was the best gift that I had heard for a long time," Mr Darrish said.
"I'm quite happy that the building is going ahead, otherwise I would have had to shut my business in a couple weeks."
Mr Darrish said he was told by the owners of the Curtin shop site work on the development would begin as soon as possible and would aim to be completed between 12 and 14 months.
While construction would provide some disruption, Mr Darrish said the final outcome would revitalise the struggling precinct.
"It's going to be dusty and noisy for the next little while, but in the end, it will bring business back in," he said.
"The sooner they start work the better."
The site will remain conditionally approved by the ACT Planning Authority, with 36 residential units, and a three-storey basement car park.
Renee Coleman, the owner of Ivy Flowers and Gifts, said businesses in Curtin had been under pressure for a long time, and this week's decision was welcome news.
"I'm so happy that this has all come to an end," Ms Coleman said.
"It's still going to be tough in the months when they're getting it built, but [the development] is something exciting to look forward to.
"People realised that the square was suffering, and it was better to have something rather than nothing."
The residents association's president Chris Johnson said the decision to drop the appeal to the development was done in the best interest of the community.
Mr Johnson had long blamed the site's owners, the Haridemos family, for letting the shops remain unoccupied for so long.
"The Curtin Residents Association initially lodged the action in hope of negotiating to ensure that the development would provide adequate open communal space and public amenities, maintain sunlight and not reduce pedestrian safety," Mr Johnson said.
"Our objective to trying to get a better solution was not met and rather than unnecessarily create further delay, the association has withdrawn its application."
While the association's president said he expected the tribunal proceedings would only last six weeks when they started in February, the next hearing was slated for later this month.
"Our foremost priority is to support the Curtin community, including the small business owners," Mr Johnson said.
"Noting that the developers have already stated that they are ready to start work immediately, we encourage them to do so."
Ms Coleman said she was looking forward to seeing more people in the centre of Curtin again.
"The community and the area needed something, and we've been waiting to see the square being lively again."
- The Canberra Times is introducing subscription packages for online readers from June 6. Packages will cost from as little as $3 a week for unlimited articles on any device. Premium packages will offer additional exclusive benefits, including access to the digital replica edition of the daily newspaper and interactive puzzles.
- Touch or click here for more information.