Legal Aid will continue to receive funding for frontline domestic violence services, after the ACT government backed away from planned budget cuts.
The commission has welcomed the government's decision, which has allayed fears that thousands of family violence victims could have been left without vital legal assistance.
The government is arguing that it never intended to stop supporting the legal service, and simply wanted to find another way to fund it.
But the opposition has rubbished that explanation, warning the government against "trying to rewrite history".
The government's decision was underpinned by an ambition to find "more creative" ways to use the levy to tackle family violence.
Legal Aid has used its annual funding to employ 2.5 full time equivalent staff, who provide advice to, and represent, victims of domestic violence.
Speaking at an ACT budget estimates hearing in June, the commission's chief executive, John Boersig, appealed to the government to find funding elsewhere to support the service.
The commission's case load has almost doubled in the past three years.
"The demand remains strong and we are providing a frontline service, primarily to victims.I would hope that is recognised as we negotiate for the outer years," Mr Boersig said at the time.
Since then, Attorney-General Gordon Ramsay and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Minister Yvette Berry have repeatedly stressed that the government was committed to supporting Legal Aid's work.
However, their rhetoric has not been accompanied by a firm promise to reinstate the commission's future funding.
But on Wednesday, Mr Ramsay told an annual report hearing that the government had committed to funding the service beyond next year.
Shadow Attorney-General Jeremy Hanson seized on the announcement, saying the government had "back flipped".
Mr Ramsay rejected that assertion, repeating that the government had consistently said it would "find the most appropriate" way to fund the service.
Mr Hanson claimed the government's stance had, in fact, shifted, as he warned Mr Ramsay of "trying to rewrite history".
In a statement to The Canberra Times, a government spokesman said: "it was never the government's intention to discontinue the service. We have made that abundantly clear for some time."
Mr Boersig also fronted Wednesday's hearing, revealing that he only received written confirmation of the government's funding commitment on Tuesday.
He said he met with Mr Ramsay and Ms Berry in recent months, who had expressed "genuine support" for the commission's work.
Mr Boersig told The Canberra Times that his staff were "very pleased and positive" about the government's decision.
"It is always a concern for staff when there is a shadow over funding," he said. "The people that do this work, they do it because they really want to do it."
Mr Ramsay's office could not confirm how much money Legal Aid would receive each year under the new arrangement, but The Canberra Times understands it would be equal to the amount it had been previously been allocated.
The commission was due to receive $313,00 in 2020-21 and $321,000 in 2022-23 through the family violence levy, before June's budget axed the future funding.