The Kings Highway is likely to remain closed throughout the summer holiday period as the danger posed by active fires and damaged trees and roads prevent emergency services and road crews from accessing the area and beginning clean-up work.
But in a welcome piece of good news amid the devastation of Clyde Mountain, a photo has proved Pooh Bear's corner survived the blaze.
The Carwoola Rural Fire Brigade posted an image on social media showing a member standing outside Pooh's cave, with undamaged teddy bears at his feet.
"Pooh Corner has survived the fire! Here is photographic evidence to prove that, while the fire has burned all around, the beloved fluffy toys at Pooh Corner are all ok and are just fine!" the post said.
Stopping at Pooh's Corner, a cave adorned with teddy bears, has been a tradition for holidaymakers heading to the coast for generations.
Earlier in the day Bega MP Andrew Constance held a media conference at which he said it would be "a month minimum" before the highway, which links Canberra and other inland areas with Batemans Bay and South Coast, is reopened.
"We are still dealing with a very live and dangerous fire situation," Mr Constance said. "Live fire, there is a lot of trees down, there is a lot of damage to the road."
Mr Constance, who is also New South Wales Transport Minister, said conditions were too dangerous to send in work crews.
"We have trees hanging over high verges in the road, Government Bend up is a mess. We have to have it safe before crews go in there," he said.
News of the extended road closure came as firefighters continued to work to bring 33 blazes across NSW under control, including the massive Currowan fire, which has burnt through more than 206,000 hectares.
During the afternoon the status of the Forest Road blaze just south of Nowra was increased to watch and act as fire broke out along its north-east border in Worrigee.
The NSW Rural Fire Service said crews were working with residents to protect homes "as required", and waterbombing aircraft were operating to reinforce containment lines. By late yesterday it reported the fire, which has burnt through more than 2000 hectares, was being controlled.
The RFS advised residents in the area to monitor the situation.
Temperatures are expected to climb throughout the weekend and winds are expected to strengthen, heightening concerns that existing fires may break containment lines or fresh blazes may break out.
The RFS had almost 1300 volunteers and crews on duty during Friday tackling more than 70 bush and grass fires.
The RFS urged residents and holiday makers to be prepared to act as the fire danger builds over coming days.
"With deteriorating conditions over the next few days, now is the time to take five minutes to discuss your bush fire survival plan and know what you and your family will do if fire threatens," the service said.
Anticipating severe conditions this weekend, the ACT Emergency Services Agency has declared a total fire ban throughout the territory on Saturday.
The agency said the fire danger rating for the day would be very high.
The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast hot and dry conditions across the ACT, with a maximum of 38 degrees late in the afternoon and strengthening westerly winds.
The bureau does not expect in let up in the heat next week, forecasting temperatures in the mid to high 30s through to next Thursday.
The return of dangerous fire weather will have fire crews across New South Wales on high alert in coming days, underlining the demands the extended bushfire emergency is placing on volunteer firefighters.