The Phillip ice skating rink would be used as a temporary morgue under a worst-case scenario should Canberra receive a high number of deaths from the coronavirus.
ACT Health Minister Rachel-Stephen Smith said on Sunday the government was planning for a range of outcomes should the virus worsen, among them having to use Canberra's only ice rink as a makeshift morgue.
"We don't want to see that happen, but we are planning for the worst, and we need to do that in case it comes to that," Ms Stephen-Smith said.
The ice rink's operator John Raut said government officials had asked in recent days how long the rink would take to reform ice after it had been defrosted, which takes three days.
The rink is currently being defrosted as part of floor refurbishments while the rink is closed to the public due to coronavirus restrictions.
Mr Raut said the ice rink had always been factored into the territory's disaster plan under an absolute worst-case scenario.
"It had been standing for 30 to 40 years, ever since the ice rink had been opened," he said.
Ice rinks have been used as temporary morgues in countries such as Italy, where the death toll from coronavirus has reached more than 10,000.
The Health Minister urged Canberrans to practice social distancing.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you're looking to stay up to date on COVID-19, you can also sign up for our twice-daily digest here. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.