Workers at a Canberra construction site allowed to restart work on Monday will have to provide evidence they have had their first Covid vaccine or evidence of a booking.
Construction of a specialist laboratory for the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Fairbairn has been allowed to resume, after the federal government deemed it an essential project.
The facility will be used for research and assessments related to Australia's COVID-19 response.
An ACT Health spokesperson said the ACT government did not grant the exemption.
"The Commonwealth government has determined that the laboratory is an essential infrastructure, which means it is permitted under the ACT health direction without an exemption," the spokesperson said.
"The ACT government understands the new facility will be used for the ongoing assessment of vaccines and other therapeutics that will support the national COVID-19 response."
The Canberra Times understands workers on the site have been told they are required to show proof they have either had their first vaccine or have booked it in.
In Sydney, construction workers from 11 local government areas in south-west Sydney are required to have had at least one dose of a Covid vaccine.
READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS:
Under the ACT's public health orders, construction is not allowed. Only a small number of projects have been granted an exemption after being deemed as essential.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr said consultation with the industry about a wider reopening was ongoing. He said the fine details were still being looked over, but the government would not take "stupid risks" to appease industry groups.
Last week, Mr Barr traded barbs with ACT Senator Zed Seselja who has pushed for the territory's construction industry to be allowed to restart.
Senator Seselja argued construction work had been allowed to continue in other states during lockdowns and encouraged the Canberra community to keep the pressure on the Barr government for a reopening of the industry. Mr Barr accused the senator of making a "political pot shot".
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in the ACT and the lockdown is free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our newsletters for regular updates.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: